Author Topic: Trains - Credit Where it is Due  (Read 2540 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Trains - Credit Where it is Due
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 17:31:10 PM »
You don't HAVE to, but you can get a cheaper deal if you do. If you get on www.thetrainline.com you can get a discount if you book by 6pm on the day before you want to travel. Pay online by credit/debit card and you collect your tickets from a machine at the station.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 20:02:02 PM by KKOB »

Offline Stan

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 17:45:25 PM »
Something to consider if you have to change trains , instead of booking one ticket for the whole journey, book two separate tickets (one for the first part of the journey etc ) saved a fair chunk a few years ago travelling Crewe to Plymouth,change at Birmingham, its cheaper and exactly the same trains.

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 17:46:53 PM »
Yes, with all that money you make from Scottish oil   ;)
Do you vote SNP now Keith ?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 18:03:42 PM »
Thanks KKOB   :)

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 22:29:17 PM »
We have a family and friends railcard which is excellent - being the classy people we are, we book £10 travelodge rooms all round the country when they have the sale on and then go by train using the railcard.  Bargain weekends all round.  I think you save a third on the adult price per person and the kids are half price (or something like that!)

And Redspottedhanky don't charge a booking fee and the prices are exactly the same.  You can also cash in Tesco clubcard vouchers to use with them!

Offline 160606

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 14:22:01 PM »
Ever been to Liverpool Scunner, I doubt it, because if you had you would be saying, you had arrived in Liverpool, great, lovely city with even lovelier people who are kind,  friendly, funny and  helpful.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 15:04:37 PM »
We have a family and friends railcard which is excellent - being the classy people we are, we book £10 travelodge rooms all round the country when they have the sale on and then go by train using the railcard.  Bargain weekends all round.  I think you save a third on the adult price per person and the kids are half price (or something like that!)

And Redspottedhanky don't charge a booking fee and the prices are exactly the same.  You can also cash in Tesco clubcard vouchers to use with them!

Also, If you don't have a card and there are 3 or 4 people travelling then ask for a groupsave 3 (or 4) discount at the station or online when you book. It sometimes works out cheaper than using our family/friends card

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 16:00:30 PM »
I have had lots of experience over many years booking tickets and getting the best price.  Here's my most recent experience on trains, and ticket pricing, landed at Luton Airport from Istanbul yesterday afternoon.  Cost of fare to Brighton for Mrs Tickets and myself £61 single >:(.  Cost of flight from Istanbul for Mrs and Tickets and myself £103 single  ;).  And before anyone suggests that I should have gone to Gatwick, I tried, but there was no flights yesterday AND yes I did check about purchasing the rail ticket in advance online, but the fare was exactly the same, mind you I could have purchased a return ticket to Luton for an extra 10 pence each, but who wants to return to Luton  ... am I right or am I right Scunner?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 16:19:36 PM »
Ever been to Liverpool Scunner, I doubt it, because if you had you would be saying, you had arrived in Liverpool, great, lovely city with even lovelier people who are kind,  friendly, funny and  helpful.

Yes I have, and found the people very pleasant and able to take a tongue in cheek joke with ease. Shame you couldn't. :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 16:23:26 PM »
Apart from the staff at the Adelphi, without doubt the rudest, most miserable, unhelpful group of people in the hotel business :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf