Author Topic: Town twinning!  (Read 2775 times)

Offline sandgrounder

Town twinning!
« on: May 17, 2013, 19:59:49 PM »
Is your home town twinned with any town overseas? The reason I ask is that my home town of Southport has been asked to twin with...wait for it...Ayia Napa!!!!!!!! The mind boggles! Free junkets for our elected councillors at a time when all local authority budgets are being slashed to the bare bones.

Time for some serious thinking about who gets my vote in the next local elections :o

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Re: Town twinning!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 20:23:36 PM »
My home town of Helensburgh is twinned with Thouars in Western France
  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 20:34:28 PM »
I see the connection between Ayia Napa and Southport Russ.

In Ayia Napa nobody goes clubbing till 3am. Roughly the same time as most residents of Southport get up. 

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 21:33:52 PM »
I live in Windsor and we're twinned with Neuilly in France (since 1955), Goslar in Germany (since 1969) and Kortrijk in Belgium (since 1981).  Nearby Maidenhead is also twinned with Frascati in Italy.  It's been great for me over the years because, as a solo singer, I was always getting asked to go to these places with choirs and orchestras for cultural exchange tours and stuff.  Sadly it's all dried up in the last 10 years or so because no one can pay for it but it was fun while it lasted.  Might have done some good too.  Who knows?

;D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 21:37:22 PM »
Calis and Calais

That would confuse a few.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 22:22:32 PM »
birkenhead is twinned with
genneville france
lorient france
midland texas usa
lots and lots of freebies on here for the council folks to go :-X

Offline scorcher

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 22:24:32 PM »
 Think Uzumlu is now twinned with Frinton... :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 22:39:41 PM »
Sadly Frinton said they were still looking for a place more like their little town. Uzumlu was a bit to quiet unfortunately.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 22:47:20 PM »
we're twinned with Neuilly in France (since 1955), Goslar in Germany (since 1969) and Kortrijk in Belgium (since 1981).  Nearby Maidenhead is also twinned with Frascati in Italy.  It's been great for me over the years because, as a solo singer, I was always getting asked to go to these places with choirs and orchestras for cultural exchange tours and stuff. 

My home town Leighton Buzzard is twinned with Coulommiers in France and as my dad was in the local band (brass) and for a time the MD of the Leighton Operatic Society (wouldn't think that would you Suzzo :p ) there were many exchanges which mainly involved 50-odd men blowing their horns then going to get p***ed on cheap French lager.

It was absolutely brilliant, we stayed in some great holiday villages and those Frenchies can make a civic reception last for a week. Coulomiers is most famous for its cheese, sneakily called Coulommiers, very similar to Camembert. We spent a week meeting big cheeses and eating big cheeses.

Leighton Buzzard is not famous for it's cheese.  It is famous for being vaguely near where the Great Train Robbery happened, and Kajagoogoo.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 01:12:39 AM »
birkenhead is twinned with
genneville france
lorient france
midland texas usa
lots and lots of freebies on here for the council folks to go :-X

In fairness Puma I wouldn't have thought there would be a queue of towns wishing to twin with Birkenhead.  ;)

We have been twinned with Reutlingem in Germany for years why I will never know. To me its a Councillors dream. Go and find a town to twin with. oh ok can we claim expenses?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf