Author Topic: Holidays, something different  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Hamlet

Re: Holidays, something different
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 22:04:29 PM »
Thanks Loz, hopefully the skies will be good to us, cameras at the ready 8)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 22:24:34 PM »
We are lucky to have seen the Northern Lights from our window in Scotland.  They often appear in the Aberdeenshire area.  We have no light pollution as we are on farm lane on a hill and look out to the North Sea. Have seen the lights right across the sky fabulous sight. 
As for New York Loz, it's fabulous and was always on my list to see, I would go back anytime and still have lots of things I have not got around to seeing.   
Phil was in Egypt on business and was taken to see the Pyramids  He was very disappointed, he told me it was filthy with rubbish blowing everywhere, and you could not get away from people following you trying to sell you stuff, he also disliked Cairo.   I had fancied going, but Phil would not not go back and after hearing about the place I have changed my mind.  Phil has also been to Norway many times, he said it's a nice place with lovely views, however, it is very expensive.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 23:04:40 PM »
I am looking forward to the photos Hamlet, bob-sleighing dog sledging love it, I used to go bob-sleighing, many many many years ago, #i was slim and fit then, Germany Austria and Switzerland, real adrenaline rush. 

I do not like cities, Edinburgh is the exception to this rule, I very rarely venture into Southampton, and Winchester probably a few times a year and that is only 4 miles from us.   London & Paris was maybe when I wast 20-21, Berne is another exception, so there is no way I will go to New York. Cities and shopping as a holiday experience hold no interest, luckily to both of us.

Our neighbour lived in Egypt for a number of years, told us of the pollution, but this is something I feel I must see/do.  So many things I would love to do, but Gordon is either not interested and rather read about such places or it involves an element of danger, hell, I have no chance. 

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 23:18:39 PM »
The Amalfi coast is beautiful Loz.  Lots of hilly bits, so guess that wouldn't suit Gordon unless you hire a car.. What about the Austrian or Swiss Alps? The villages are beautiful in the summer, lots of hotels with small outdoor and indoor pools, free buses to take you from village to village and lifts open to take you on to the hills. No need to be a walker or a hiker as locals use the mountains like people use the beach. Water features, flat trails, bbqs, mountain restaurants all open, deck chairs outside and peace......perfect peace. My friend & are are doing this again in August for our "special" birthday treat!!! Decisions decisions.  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 23:29:56 PM »
What about Venice, it's brill. Nice and flat too. It's like Koca Calis with money!

You meet a fine quality of tourist in Venice.

Offline buddy

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 23:59:40 PM »
Hi Jacqui, I'm looking at New York at the moment for later this month. Its a special birthday for Claire and we fancy something different.
We have been through JFK a few times but only on our way to California, so were wondering what a long weekend break would be like in the Big Apple. Can you recommend any hotels/ attractions etc.
Buddy

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 00:29:43 AM »
Toky and Keith, Venice I need to talk him into going, maybe, but he is Scottish and we are not going to enter the subject of Catholics ;-) Koca Calis analogy is appealing.

I have in my time covered vast areas of Europe, I did not need sun or beach, and was very happy to use a beach in UK if I wanted.  I loved the Alps, Black Forest and just about anything inland, I did not have my first beach holiday abroad until 1994 when I was then in my mid to late 30's, because Gordon wanted and missed the Mediterranean and beaches, thereafter he won.

We are so similar yet so different, this holiday lark is getting to me!  I can see Cornwall and Scotland calling at this rate.   Gordon is now silently telling me he will be happy with Spain, oh dear.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 06:19:47 AM »
Perhaps you should introduce the concept of taking turns. So you choose this holiday and Gordon chooses the next one.

TA and I also have some rather different ideas about holidays. As he leaves me to sort everything out, we somehow always end up on the holiday I would have liked.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 06:21:15 AM »
We stopped in Venice for 2 nights in 2012, it rained day & night, St Marks Square and many of the areas were flooded where the canals were overflowing. There were queues of Gondolas in the central canals that couldn't get under the bridges because the tide was so high, even though we got soaking wet we enjoyed it and it was another thing to tick off the bucket list.

Re; reply #14, well 3 out of 4 people sitting around a particular dining table could probably be described as a "fine quality of tourist", not sure about the 4th one though, looks a bit sus to me!  8)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »
It's a shame Loz, that you think N.Y. is only for shopping, what a treat you are missing.  I have a friend who lives in Florida and they have bought a small flat in N.Y. because they love it so much there.  She totally hates shopping, has no interest at all.  She loves N.Y. for all it's attractions, the fabulous theatre, the wonderful Art Galleries and Museum, the vibrant street life around every corner.  It's possible to spend 2 weeks in N.Y. with a full calendar of things to do and never see a shop.
I love shopping and N.Y. is the cheapest place to shop I have ever visited, but this does not mean that all you can do is shop.
Buddy, IMO  A long weekend is not enough taking into account the eight hours to get there and the jet lag you are just settling in and then are going back, but for a taster if that is all you can manage, go for it.  I would not know where to start with things to do.  It's a 24 hour City.   Briefly, visit Central Park, it's massive, but beautiful and the lovely thing is everyone does their own thing there, people jog, do yoga, dress up and sing, or just walk around, take one of the horse and carriage trips, the driver will point out all the things of interest and you can stop at Strawberry Fields and see the John Lennon Memorial. Take a trip out to the Statue of Liberty, the boat trip is very good. If you don't want to pay or stop at the island, get the Staten Island Ferry, it's free, go past the statue and then when it docks come back on the next ferry.  Go to a Museum, the Natural History Museum is wonderful, but it would probably take 3 days to see it all, but, you can just take a dip in and spend a few hours. Visit the theatre, it's a must, but, don' t pay full price for tickets, Go to the South Seaport for 11.00am there is a box office there for half price theatre tickets.  The South Seaport has a fabulous Seafaring Museum which is so interesting and there are old ships outside you can go aboard.  The History of N.Y. with old documents is in this Museum and some wonderful model boats, Phil's favourite Museum.    The South Seaport has a large shopping centre with restaurants that look out across the river, the seafood there is lovely and there are always street entertainers.  We watch a guy with a rubber body doing so many tricks, including putting himself in a tiny plastic box.    If you want to shop, you can get the bus out to Woodbury Common.  The ride on the bus is so good as it go through the countryside, West Point the Military Academy is near this place.  Woodbury looks like a quaint old American town with lots of small white wooden buildings.  All the designer outlets are there. As it's in a Forest it's great for taking photographs, we watched huge eagles soaring in the sky above us.
Back in N.Y. take one of the open top London Buses that give you a tour of the town, they are good, because there is a running commentary and if somewhere looks good, i.e. China Town, you can hop off the bus and then hop back on the next one after your visit.   I have only brushed the surface here and missed out so much you can see and do.  I strongly advise a visit, but be warned you will want to return.
As for accommodation, keep away from Time Square, it's very noisy.  The Madison Square Garden area is good because is handy for lots of places, 10 minutes walk to Time Square, 30 minutes walk to Central Park, 10 minutes to Brian Park.    Accommodation is not cheap in Manhattan, so look around for deals.
I forgot to say, get taxis, they are cheap in N.Y. and everyone uses them.  Just flag them down in the street.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf