Author Topic: Holidays, something different  (Read 2739 times)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Re: Holidays, something different
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
Perhaps you should introduce the concept of taking turns. So you choose this holiday and Gordon chooses the next one.

TA and I also have some rather different ideas about holidays. As he leaves me to sort everything out, we somehow always end up on the holiday I would have liked.

Take it in turns, you are kidding, every other holiday spent in the middle of an Hisronu type resort, Karaoke noisy bars, no thanks,  luckily I get to book the holiday, he does not  understand internet banking,

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »
Benidorm!

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 14:54:38 PM »
We went to Benidorm for ten days, three years ago. Believe me, I am not the type of person who would jump at the chance to go there, but...

...it was great! Admittedly it suits a family with youngish kids and parts of it can resemble a zoo, but we chose a half-decent hotel on the outskirts, near to a couple of the mega theme animal/water/thrill parks, flights (Alicante) are easy, plentiful and dirt cheap even in mid-school holiday time, beer was 1€ a pint and food was cheap too. The old town is really nice with quaint little tapas places to wander between (the kids didn't allow the grownups much tapas y cerverza time, though).

And let's face it, there can't be too many more Brits in Benidorm in August as there typically are in Fethiye.

If Benidorm is too loud then I'd have a look at Moraira or Altea a bit further down the coast.

Saying all that, I'd still go to Turkey every single holiday if it was up to me.

Offline marina

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 15:15:58 PM »
Following on from Jacqui's excellent Tourist Information Guide to New York!   ;)  I agree completely with all that.  I'm not the world's best shopper, online shopping - great, but trailing round busy shops - no thanks!  But it was so different in NY, looking round the famous department stores, Macy's, Bloomingdales etc, plus the other outlets within easy reach. 

We also did the helicopter trip over Manhatten which we enjoyed  Another tip, if you go up the Empire State Building  to see the views from the viewing platform, try to go late in the day when it's still daylight but just about to turn dusk into evening.  You get to see all the sights in daylight but then as it turns dark start to see the lights come on all around New York and see a totally different view of it.  We did that, quite by accident I might add, but it was amazing. 

Not really a restful holiday in NY but so much to see and do well worth it.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 15:33:47 PM »
Benidorm?  No thanks, did that, too built up.  we did Moraira too, at that time it was just becoming a holiday destination, we stayed in El Portet, looked on google earth and did not recognise the place. 
One night we drove up into the mountains, spied a little village, we parked up, it appeared to be deserted, we had our son and niece with us and and decided to explore, we walked down this street, there was no one around, then we saw an old woman sitting in a doorway knitting, Gordon asked her in Spanish where everyone had gone, she told him that the village were running the bulls, he asked when and where, she told him running past here at 8pm, it was 7.50pm Gordon looked at us and yelled RUN!!! we made it into the village square and managed to squeeze behind the bars just in time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf