Author Topic: Work from home?  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Menthol

Re: Work from home?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 22:33:53 PM »
Excellent to hear, Bluwise. Make sure you stick to 3 or 4 days a week though :D

And you're right - you have to be brave. TA and I both jacked in perfectly good, well paid jobs in management and teaching to go back into business again 6 years ago and have never looked back. But yes, it is very scary to start with.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 08:56:28 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes everyone - I just hope it may encourage others who are considering their work/life balance to be out of kilter, to take a step back and look at what's important to them.
If I'm lucky enough for this role to continue until I reach state retirement age (if the buggers stop shifting it!!!) then I know I made the right choice.   

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 10:19:32 AM »
Good news on how things have panned out.  You obviously have things under control working the 3/4 days a week, but look out for pitfalls in the future such as 'opportunities to grow' or 'new/additional directions' be sure they do not spoil your work life balance.  After a number of years of home working, in various roles, I would recommend to you and anyone thinking of doing something similar at home, that at least once a day you get out of the house, go for a nice walk, go and get a coffee or have a lunch out, and if you get the chance one a week or fortnight meet up with a client/remote co-worker/mentor/friend just to have a chat face to face with those involved in your business or work, you need that face to face interaction with people, and diary it so that you see it through as a business appointment.  Finally, not sure about your home arrangements are but if you live with someone, try to organise your day so that maximise the time that you spend together, with business hours close down (and no wandering back just to finish such and such).  After all there must be some other benefits for you and yours, other than you are happy in the new role and all that it brings in.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 12:57:37 PM »
Very good points UBT - thank you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf