Author Topic: Northern Cyprus  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Northern Cyprus
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 15:56:29 PM »
On one forum I read a post saying the best way they had found to get from UK to Kyrenia was to fly to Larnaca and then take a taxi to the North. If so then the possibilities of travelling North/South are a lot more fluid than when I was there in 2004. If you are going to Bella Pais be sure to read Lawrence Durrell's "Bitter Lemons" - set mostly in the village. He tells a wonderful proverb about Cyprus:

The most idle people in all the Mediterranean are those that live in Cyprus;
And the most idle people of all Cyprus are those that live in Bella Pais;
And the most idle people in Bella Pais are those that sit under the Tree of Idleness.

So, of course, Hilary and I had to sit under this tree (it had a bar/retaurant built around it) and enjoy an Efes after touring the splendid Abbey.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 16:02:31 PM »
The TRNC residency rules might be a bit of a shock for you Don - I have copied and pasted the relevant information below for you.

""If you are 60 or above, you no longer need to apply for a yearly residency stamp in your passport. You are free to enter and exit the TRNC as often as you like".

Why can't Turkey just be simple like that. Good luck with your travels by the way.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 17:28:38 PM »
Great photos Don! Thank you. Looks like you had a great summer on your travels. That's the way to do it!  ;) ;D

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, a lot of very useful info there.

DonM

Offline daughter

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 18:05:36 PM »
Hello I am new to the forum but really love to read about what is happening in your area . My Husband and I live in Alanya now and before coming here 5 years ago we lived 7 years in Girne North Cyprus . For anyone wanting a relaxing Holiday it is quite lovely and as one of the members said you cannot take a TRNC rental car to the South the unfairness of this of course is if you rent in the South you can take into the North . For anyone owing a car you can buy insurance at the border , either monthly or slightly cheaper yearly . In our experience we only 3 or 4 times experience problems with the customs when the South had a perge on against the North . You are correct in saying that you can walk across as many Turks working in the South do dairy . Also Taxi are always waiting for customers many people from the North shop in the South ( manly British ) for the supermarket shopping . Having said that over the years North Cyprus supermarkets realized that with 1, 000s of British living there they managed to supply what people wanted . If I have to name one thing I miss about leaving Cyprus would be the availability of some of the things we like to eat . However if asked and we are why did we leave ? The only answer is we fell in love with Turkey there's days when you ask yourself what am I doing here more so in August ( I officially hate August ) but 10 months of the year it a fantastic place to live . We have planed early next year a long holiday in Fethiya to have time to have a good look around your lovely part of Turkey . Once again thank you for a great forum.

Offline daughter

• Newly Registered
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 18:23:34 PM »
Morning all,

I'm looking for info on the TRNC with a view to spending the winter there if it becomes necessary with the Turkish residency restrictions.

We arrive back in Fethiye for a 6 month stay on the 22 October. This winter we are staying in one of the bungalows at the Istanbul restaurant in Kayakoy.

We plan to have a week in the TRNC after Christmas.

I'm looking for help in the following areas.

Hotel to stay for a week.

Any forums like CBF.

Is it possible to visit southern (Greek) Cyprus in a car hired in the TRNC.

Any other info or links that would help to make a smooth visit.

Have already sourced flights from Dalaman via Istanbul.

DonM

Offline daughter

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 18:26:36 PM »
link=topic=56352.msg376278#msg376278 date=1409130914]
Morning all,

I'm looking for info on the TRNC with a view to spending the winter there if it becomes necessary with the Turkish residency restrictions.

We arrive back in Fethiye for a 6 month stay on the 22 October. This winter we are staying in one of the bungalows at the Istanbul restaurant in Kayakoy.

We plan to have a week in the TRNC after Christmas.

I'm looking for help in the following areas.

Hotel to stay for a week.

Any forums like CBF.

Is it possible to visit southern (Greek) Cyprus in a car hired in the TRNC.

Any other info or links that would help to make a smooth visit.

Have already sourced flights from Dalaman via Istanbul.

DonM
[/quote]
[/quote]

Offline daughter

• Newly Registered
northern Cyprus
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 18:30:35 PM »
Sorry I meant to add that a very good forum for North Cyprus Is.   Lemon Grove Forum   .Nearly ever question that has ever been asked about Cyprus will be answered there  . Good luck

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 18:43:38 PM »
Daughter
Thank you for your posts and information, very kind of you.
Hope you enjoy your holiday in Fethiye, TRNC sounds very nice                :)

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
The TRNC residency rules might be a bit of a shock for you Don - I have copied and pasted the relevant information below for you.

""If you are 60 or above, you no longer need to apply for a yearly residency stamp in your passport. You are free to enter and exit the TRNC as often as you like".

Why can't Turkey just be simple like that. Good luck with your travels by the way.
I've been doing some research and can't find the details you quote. This is all I could find. The £10,000 per person in a local bank seems a bit steep. Full details at http://www.brstrnc.com/index.php/lifestyle/residency I can't find any dates so the info could be way out of date, one can only hope.

DonM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf