Author Topic: Sarah's Song - a story which makes me smile  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Sarah's Song - a story which makes me smile
« on: January 21, 2015, 20:38:21 PM »
I love this Phil Cunningham tune and the story behind it.

Phil had wrote Sarah’s Song, a haunting, slow air, on the back of a napkin during the dinner before a charity auction in 1992. He’d been gripped by a sudden fear that the signed memorabillia he’d originally offered for auction didn’t match what other donors had brought, so the hastily written tune was put up instead.

The winning bidder, who earned the right to give the tune a title, named it after his wife, and Phil’s been playing it eaver since.

The music was actually written for bagpipes but Phil reveled that by the time he’d finished scribbling the tune on the napkin, the pipers at the event were in no condition to play it – so he ended up playing it himself on the accordian.

It was only during a visit to the Omani desert in the Spring of 2007 that Phil first heard Sarah’s Song played by a pipe band

The present Mrs H and I went to an Ally Bain and Phil Cunningham concert in a small community hall in Oban some years ago.

The place was jumping until Cunningham played Sarah’s Song during which you could have heard a pin drop before he got a standing ovation so richly deserved.

It is a slow air, but may I suggest you stick with it until Ally Bain joins in at 2:26. Gives me goose bumps. Simply beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsd8dU89qw
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 21:29:45 PM by Highlander »

Offline suehugh

Re: Sarah's Song - a story which makes me smile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 21:11:17 PM »
Wow

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:33 AM »
What a beautiful tune.  It's an emotional time of the year for me (20 years since my husband died) so this music made me end up in tears, very cathartic and moving.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:30:13 AM »
Brilliant tune, played by 2 outstanding musicians. I too have seen a few of their live concerts & been thoughly entertained every time   :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »
It is a very beautiful tune echogirl1 and makes me emotional also.

Can you imagine the God given talent that allows someone to pick up a napkin with nothing on it and end up with such a lovely, haunting piece of music. Stunning

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf