Author Topic: Not their finest hour  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Not their finest hour
« on: May 17, 2015, 09:11:39 AM »
Thomas Cook are coming out of the case of the deaths of two children in Greece very badly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-32769317

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Not their finest hour
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
Most of TC's hours are far from fine but this is the nadir. Absolutely appalling in every way - how not to deal with a tragedy. Holiday companies should use this as part of their induction training in the section "What not to do".

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 13:42:36 PM »
Totally disgusting. The families lost not only their kids and nearly their own lives, they also

lost their businesses due to the cost of attending inquests and related court hearings.

I think the Government and pressure group should force Thomas Cook to apologise to

and compensate these families and force travel companies to insure against such incidents

if they are refusing to admit liability.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 13:50:43 PM »
TC has issued a statement saying the CE has written a letter of apology to the family. The family has just said that no such letter has been received.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 14:01:31 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Pussinboots

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 14:20:56 PM »
I attempted to obtain an apology from Tc last year over treatment received from cabin crew which left me in tears and humiliated. Even going to the top and the CEO was pointless. Their whole set up is to never apologise and treat people with contempt. I asked for the 19£ refund due to me to be donated to charity...am still waiting one year later to hear whether that is the case.   Ill never use them again.

The treatment of that poor family is abysmal and the lowest of the low.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 14:33:29 PM »
After I was given the narrower aisle seat on the back row of a 2am flight to Glasgow flight from Dalaman (even though I was one of the first. To check in and am not narrow in any language) - we then had 4.5 hours of TC staff gossiping loudly and stabbing colleagues in the back, with not a concern for those who may want to try and grab a quick nap before driving onward - I have not flown with TC. That's 4 years now.

In fact I don't even check their flights and prices, I choose someone else or somewhere else rather than use them.

This repulsive episode strengthens my resolve and I hope others at least consider who they are paying for these 'services'.

Offline Pussinboots

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 15:06:17 PM »
Be interesting to see how the shares fare in the next few days...but then most shareholders do not have a conscience anyway.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 15:37:38 PM »
Not just shareholders - principles can hold firm till they drop the cost to £9.99 each way and then people re-evaluate.

Offline jrichards1

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 19:08:15 PM »
I wouldn't fly with them if they were free. Honestly, nothing would get me flying with them again. All the little irks and niggles you try to forget because its a cheap deal. No more.

They have behaved apaullingly and need to account for their actions. Someone banked that cheque, rubbing their hands, knowing where it came from.

Greedy greedy nasty b'ssssss

Offline marina

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 20:34:29 PM »
We've never really had many dealings with Thomas Cook and after listening to the appalling way the families have been treated by them, and now this disgusting payout we will never use them in the future. Holidays/flights/foreign exchange - nothing, they won't get a penny from us.

I have to say though how much I've admired the way the families have conducted themselves through what must have been a harrowing 9 years to get some kind of justice for Christi and Bobby.

Despite the parents Neil and Sharon having been divorced before the tragedy they have fought this together and the two couples have remained very close.  There is a lovely photo in the MoS article showing the two couples and the children they have had since Christi and Bobby died, three boys for Sharon and Paul Wood and a girl and a boy for Neil and Ruth Shepherd, all on holiday together in Cornwall. 

It's heartening to see and I think they have, together, done Christi and Bobby proud and although nothing will take away the pain they will always feel, really do wish them well for the future.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 15:42:19 PM by marina »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf