Author Topic: A Spooky Coincidence  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
A Spooky Coincidence
« on: August 10, 2015, 22:51:24 PM »
When we moved from Turkey to Scotland (2008) we went to look at some properties. The very first one we viewed is not far from where we are now, and has an easily remembered address (mainly because it was number 99). Anyway, we didn't go for it, we found somewhere else.

Not so long ago we moved (again) and Virgin Media managed to mess up our phone number transfer, and we had no option but to accept a new phone number. We now get regular calls asking for someone who is not us. When we tell them that, they often ask "Is that not 99 xxxxxx Road?".

So, years after viewing someone's house, we got their phone number     :)

Any more coincidence tales?

p.s. before KKOB and the usual suspects jump in, the road isn't really called xxxxxx road     ;)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: A Spooky Coincidence
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 01:00:28 AM »
  Spooky.
My late mom came over to Birmingham from Cork aged 18. Her father had been a Captain in the
Royal Munster Fusiliers and was dead. Within a few days she had found a room and got a job in a wool shop.
On her first day at the wool shop a large well dressed woman came in and kept looking at my mom. She came
over and said "can I talk about your father" She went on to describe him perfectly, his features, his uniform,
his rank, regiment ect. She said "he is behind you, he will always be there, and he will look after you"
My mom had not discussed her family to anybody since arriving. She never saw the woman again.?

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »
Many years ago, Dad & I went on holiday to Stoupa in Greece. At the time, it was so far off the beaten track that there were only 2 international flights each week into the local airport, Kalamata. We stayed in an apartment complex of just 6 units.

On arrival, there was a couple sitting on the terrace of the apartment next door to ours; several times during the week, I kept saying that I was sure I had met the man next door before, but couldn't say when. Dad dismissed it saying that he probably resembled someone I had known previously.

At the end of the holiday, the 4 of us were taken to the airport in a taxi & were next to each other in the check in queue. Dad, being ever subtle, said that I'd been going on all week about possibly knowing the guy, seemingly, he'd been saying the same to wife too. It transpired that he was a site manager for the building services arm of the hotel group I worked for & about 4 years earlier, he'd managed the refurbishment of the hotel, at which I was Financial Controller. Every week, he'd been in my office to get the team's expenses reinbursed

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »
When we bought our place in Calis.  We met the neighbours and were surprised to find they came from my home town, Liverpool, further surprise when we found they lived in the same district as I used to, Maghull and then amazment when they said they lived in the next road I used to live in and in fact, the lady had been born n the road where my house was.  The man even sang in the choir of the church we were married in. 
So, you go across the world to a foreign country and are neighbours with someone you were neighbours with in the U.K.
As our Turkish friends from Saman in Fethiye always say (and even have on their business card) "There is no such thing as coincidence".

Offline snowtop

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:34:29 AM »
I never go to the Zara or any other café after going to the Sunday market.  I just go home.
This particular Sunday Ann and I went to the Zara café with a couple of friends.
A couple came in and I said to Ann, "I know him, its Ivor".  Ann said it wasn't so after 15minutes, curiosity got the better of me and I went to speak to him.
My approach was, "Do you know me?" The reply was, "you look familiar", I answered "Do you remember Bookers Cash and Carry's box at Newbury Races when you got Brahms and Litz with one of your invited customers? and your wife told you if I went you was not allowed to go?".  "Yes" said Ivor "you have to be Alan".
I had not seen him since 1996, He had been at Sarigerma for one week and was a bit bored so decided to go on the bus trip to Calis Sunday Market.
It was his first trip to Turkey and he decided to call in the Zara at the last minute for a coffee before getting the bus back.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 23:49:01 PM »
We had a brill holiday in Marrakesh with Calis's own sausage people Lesley & Steve a couple of years ago. During that holiday any sad tale would be accompanied by the others humming that really old music from "Our Tune" on Radio 1 with Simon Bates (Do-do-do-dom do do-do etc). I haven't actually heard that music in years, possibly 10+.

After check in at the airport to come home we headed for passport control. You'll never guess which tune was playing in the airport...

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 13:41:21 PM »
Agga Do Do Do?

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 15:33:41 PM »
My ex brother in law was born 06-06-1956, this is absolutely true, he had six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot. They weren't full normal sized digits just tiny ones with the slightest hint of a nail. They were next to his little finger near his knuckles and in a similar position on his foot ie next to his little toe. I guess some people would say its the mark of the devil, but he was an ok guy really.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 15:44:42 PM »
My first boyfriend when I was about 7 years old Johnny Peterson had a two thumbs on one hand.  The reason I liked him at the time...He went to hospital and had one removed and I was so disappointed and immediately stopped liking him... I laugh now when I think about it

Offline swindsor

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 16:45:21 PM »
We stayed at the Kaan Hotel last June for one week. 

On our first night a bloke asked where in Yorkshire we were from (our accents giving us away!) and we told him - Darfield, Barnsley.  He said he used to live in the next village and his sister was brought up in Darfield and this same sister would be arriving at the hotel later in the week.  We talked about where we lived whilst growing up, my parent's names etc etc .   

When his sister arrived she came over to us and asked if I was "a Smith from Darfield?"  I said I was  and she asked if I was Michael Smith's daughter - which I am (I have a very strong resemblance to my dad).   It turns out this lady was a good friend of my dad when they were children and grew up together.  When I phoned home to tell my dad, he told me that her father taught both my mum and dad to play the piano when they were teenagers and her mother made by mum's wedding dress!!

Another coincidence: - Whilst we were talking she mentioned a mutual friend of hers and my dad's by name from their teenage years and mentioned this friend's sister.  That sister is my auntie on my mum's side of the family.

Such a small world   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf