Author Topic: Do You Like Billy Connolly  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Do You Like Billy Connolly
« on: March 15, 2009, 21:32:02 PM »
Jukebox doesn't at all. Is he a great comedian, or as JB suggests, "Billy Connelly is one of the unfunniest blokes on the planet"?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 21:47:03 PM »
Subjective of course, but for me he is (or was) one of the funniest men on the planet. The incontinence pants sketch still makes me cry with laughter every time I see it and I will never forget the look on Parkie's face when he had finished telling the "somewhere to park my bike" joke the first time he was on the show.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 21:48:39 PM by Highlander »

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 22:50:13 PM »
Billy Connelly is an absolute ledgend, his tours of UK & Austrailia programmes were also very entertaining, but his stand up shows were brilliant.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 23:30:02 PM »
Love him!!

Offline tonysue

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 23:53:47 PM »
Used to like him but went right off a few years back when he urged some group of middle eastern extremists to cut a british hostages head off, which they did. So not funny:(.(not that I am suggesting they did because Billy said ) Just in very bad taste:-\

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
I wouldn't say I necessarily think he's the funniest on the planet but I like him.  So, yes.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »
he was funnier years ago when he wore banana boots and had a few beers in him saw him live, laughted so much my ribs hurt and had tears in my eyes.

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Subjective of course, but for me he is (or was) one of the funniest men on the planet. The incontinence pants sketch still makes me cry with laughter every time I see it and I will never forget the look on Parkie's face when he had finished telling the "somewhere to park my bike" joke the first time he was on the show.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved the 'park my bike ' joke when he did it on Parky but if memory serves, that was in the 70's and he's still trotting it out!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:26:03 AM by Jukebox »

Offline albaman

• Membership Cancered
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »
I think his patter is marvellous. I saw his show live once & my ribs hurt from laughing so much.

His travel shows are really good too & he is a "people-person" without any pretentions & says what he thinks, which is great in my book.

Interestingly, he does not really tell jokes like most comedians do, he just tells stories from his perspective & touches on subjects that are embarassingly funny.

It does amuse me when people say that he is crude & irreverant. Unless anyone has been living under a stone or on another planet then they should know his brand of humour & just should not watch his shows.

In common with other comedians he will tell the same story more than once but the greatest part of each new show is brand new material. I am impressed that he always does some local research of the area he is performing in & includes some of it in his show.

So, for me, probably the funniest guy alive today.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:19:01 AM by albaman »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by albaman

....he is a "people-person" without any pretentions....

Albaman - I am sure that was the case years ago, bt I'm not so sure now that the is "Laird of the Manor".

"...he funniest man live today..."

Alastair Darling is giving him a run for has money these days:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf