Author Topic: 2011 Census  (Read 1571 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
2011 Census
« on: March 07, 2011, 21:02:39 PM »
By The Grumpy Old Sod.

I received my Census forms today. Asking me what religion I follow is a bloody cheek: what the hell business is it of theirs what I believe in? I think I'll put "fairies" - does that qualify as a religion?

Then there's the question about "national identity". What does that mean? They offer me a choice between "English" and "British", but aren't I both? And in any case, how is it up to me what nation I belong to? - it was the government that decided that we shouldn't all be British, but that some of us could set up our own parliaments and pretend to be independent. They didn't give me any choice in it, so why can't they just decide what my national identity is, and send me a letter? Besides, I come from Suffolk, and there isn't a tick-box for that.

But what really gets my goat is having to say what racial group I belong to. How the hell do I know? I'm tall and fair so I'm probably mostly white Anglo-Saxon, but there could easily be a touch of the Yid or the tar-brush a few generations back - who can tell?

So basically they're asking us all to guess. Very few of us are experts in family history (or interested, for that matter), so whatever answer we give to that question is nothing more than guesswork. And what place has guesswork in a compulsory, legally-enforced official document? To make matters worse, the front of the form threatens that it's a crime to give false information, which means that they're asking me to guess but I'll be arrested if I get it wrong.

B4rstewards. Stupid B4rstewards.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 21:03:52 PM by KKOB »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
2011 Census
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 21:05:13 PM »
:D:DExcellent KKOB - I really enjoyed reading that:D:D

Offline Jim Fraser

2011 Census
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 21:44:05 PM »
Alan that's a very good point you made about guessing some of the answers, I think I will put a covering letter in saying no guarantee is given nor implied by any of my answers.
As for religion - the last census did find a few thousand had converted to Jedi Knight

Offline Mr Pickles

2011 Census
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:51:24 AM »
Have not received mine yet .......

Guess it will be down to 'them' to prove that I am not an apathetic, agnostic with temporary bouts of alzheimers

Offline FrankStanley

2011 Census
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 20:25:41 PM »
another waste of taxpayers money, there is so much unprotected data available they already know more about me than the wife !!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
2011 Census
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 20:29:09 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by FrankStanley

they already know more about me than the wife !!

Is that a bad thing Frank ;)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
2011 Census
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 00:50:33 AM »
So, one is is allowed to discern between being "English" or "British", but NOT allowed to discern between "Scottish" or "British"??
A racist slight, methinks. I'm not filling the bugger in anyhow, stuff 'em!! [:(!][:(!]

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
2011 Census
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:50:43 AM »
Apparently it is an offence not to fill them in, but cant see what the punishment will be because they reckon this will be the last one. great post Kaya, just tick anything Ken, because they dont take any notice anyway,

Offline Chinook

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 13:35:16 PM »
It really annoys me when people misquote from documents to make a point.

quote:
Asking me what religion I follow is a bloody cheek: what the hell business is it of theirs what I believe in
It does say "This question is voluntary".

quote:
Then there's the question about "national identity". What does that mean? They offer me a choice between "English" and "British"
No it says "tick all that apply"

quote:

But what really gets my goat is having to say what racial group I belong to. How the hell do I know?
The ethnic group question does say "bests describe your ethnic group or background". You don't have to be an expert in family history to work that out.

Don't forget that there are people who read posts who do not receive the census form and others who do who believe what is written here is correct.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 14:38:59 PM by Chinook »

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
2011 Census
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 14:29:44 PM »
I'm with Chinnok on this, I think it's easy to read into the form what you want to see, rather than what actually appears.  So Gordon you can describe yourself as Scottish or indeed there is an 'Other' box that allows you to describe yourself in anyway you like ... Anarcho-Syndicalist Non Form Filler, for example ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf