Author Topic: Is it time to sell up?  (Read 15152 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Is it time to sell up?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
I have never been a lover of Reg or the AKP. but as a foreigner living in Turkey - in an owned property -  I have not heard anything from either Reg or the AKP that has directly 'threatened' me in my living here, or indeed the many others like me.  I am happy for someone to disabuse me of this conclusion, but as it stands I can't think of anything that Reg or the AKP has done that has made me feel unwelcome.  Mind you that does not mean that they have done anything to make me feel welcome either!

However, in the last couple of years or so, as Reg and the AKP has become increasingly more powerful, there have been a number of changes they have introduced in Turkey that have made me concerned about the direction Reg and Co. are taking Turkey towards, in terms of its politics, economy, international relations, religion, and social affairs.  If I can put it this way, five years ago Turkey was trying to become a European-like state with a pluralist democracy, now it is heading towards becoming an increasingly centralised autocratic state, with all the potential to become a theocracy. A number of these changes do not even effect me, either directly or indirectly, but they do make me a increasingly uncomfortable about living here.

At this moment in time I do not feel so uncomfortable that I want to leave, either now or in the near future, but I think I can understand why some may be thinking about leaving or becoming more able to leave at short(er) notice by, for example, selling their current property and renting in the future.

I will conclude by saying that there is no perfect place to live in the world.  There is good, bad and indifferent to be found wherever you live, and that includes the UK, including its weather!  Nevertheless, this part of Turkey has still got a lot going for it - albeit operating in a bubble separate from the rest of Turkey as John rightly points out - and so I am happy to enjoy it for as long as I can, but I am alive to change and maybe one day the balance will tip towards leaving, rather than staying.

Offline patrice

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
I reflect what you are feeling Anne. We bought knowing we may not get a full return on our investment. reason we only purchased a 2 bed apartment. Over the years we have enjoyed frequent holidays there   and we have enriched our lives with the lovely people both locals and expats we have meet over the years, but lately now I am getting  older I worry not only about the present political climate I also consider the consequences of one of us becoming seriously ill  or worse passing away  and dread the outcome if this were to happen although we have made each other POA but not made a will knowing it would be worthless. 
So I question myself  would it be best to sell up  knowing we will probably lose a considerable amount on our property but at least we may salvage something for our pension pot   :-\

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
If I owned a property and was nervous i would rent it out rather than sell.
So many people looking for rental properties currently and very little available.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 12:44:40 PM »
Also foreign people are not the only people that buy property; more and more Turkish people from the cities are buying second homes and often migrate when they retire. It's just about where you choose to market it and may need a bit more thought than popping it on with the estate agent down the road.

As for staying or going, I'm not going anywhere. If I have to live under a corrupt regime I'd rather live in this one than the one in the UK!

Offline tails77

• Newly Registered
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 13:36:01 PM »
I like your comment Nichola and have read all the comments with great interest referring to more political aspects of Turkey and change.  Kayakebab you also make a valid point about renting and at least you get something back from your investment, especially if it is a holiday home. Something we have been reluctant to do in the past as I have been to attached to our apartment.
  Anne in relation to your post, we brought our apartment with a view to have quality holiday time with what would have been our teenage boys 8 years ago and as an investment. Our boys  prefer England. We have been thinking about selling our apartment, but cannot seem to make a final decision. One because we feel that we would have to sell it at a loss and because of the issue around bereavement and the hassle of this.  To some extent, the political aspects will also influence our decision over time. For now though, we will hold on a little longer.

Offline patrice

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 14:08:44 PM »
If I owned a property and was nervous i would rent it out rather than sell.
So many people looking for rental properties currently and very little available.

I see were you are coming from and we have looked into long term rental but the income is not worth the hassle and in our case defeats the object of having a holiday home it may work for some but not for us not being able to visit the apartment freely for a break.

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 19:14:19 PM »
We are assuming the tourist industry in Turkey is of no value then?

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 19:26:26 PM »
We rent out already for a few weeks through the summer although only via word of mouth and to people we know.  It barely covers our fees which are expensive by Calis standards, so to rent it out long term would more than likely see us out of pocket.  Unfortunately that is not an option for us.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 20:05:17 PM »
We are assuming the tourist industry in Turkey is of no value then?

It pays to read the whole topic sometimes Tiggsy

The next year or so will be interesting and whatever the outcome there will still be a tourist industry in the south and south west of the country - way too much money invested by folks with influence and positions of power (irrespective of governing party) for it to disappear. 

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 02:04:06 AM »
As for staying or going, I'm not going anywhere. If I have to live under a corrupt regime I'd rather live in this one than the one in the UK!

Oh good.  However your facebook page may take on a whole different (covered) complexion   :)

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf