Author Topic: Accident and Emergency  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Steve A

Re: Accident and Emergency
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 18:53:15 PM »
I mean the political rhetoric worsens,the Tory press scream 3rd world headlines,the Labour muppets pick up and run with the ball while the Tory fat cats sit back and think how much easier it will be to sell off an apparently ailing service

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 20:05:30 PM »
Make it like driving, if they turn up worse for wear at A&E, breathalyse them and if they fail, charge them for their treatment    :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 20:18:58 PM »
OMG - I was just about to post exactly that :o

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 21:19:48 PM »
You'd be bankrupt for starters!  ;)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 21:45:45 PM »
I can see the headlines now.

"Tarmac Terror Tested "

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 10:50:08 AM »
I can see the point Keith is making where the injuries/illness is drink related chargeable, but I see it as a supply rather than a demand issue.  Make the brewers/pub/club owners pay.  They are the ones selling, or rather overselling the booze, and allowing the problem back out on the street for either the police or NHS to sort out.

I speak as a former licensee, when if you allowed people to drink to the excesses you get these days, you were under threat of losing your license, from the court.. not as today some old bureaucrat in the local authority.  These days where you have a pub/club or even an area where there is excessive drinking it is seen as a business success, rather than a social problem.  Put the responsibilities back on the supply side.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 11:16:22 AM »
A&E in the headlines again today.

a) Waiting times have worsened over the holiday period with fewer that 87% of patients being seen within 4 hours. The target is 95% which was itself reduced from 98% when Con-Lib came to power.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30742817

b) The first private company to take over a hospital when it won a ten year contract to manage Hinchinbrooke Hospital says it can no longer make a profit and intends to renege on the contract with seven years to run. In particular, the company cites increasing A&E pressure as a prime cause of lack of viability.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-30740956

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 11:57:11 AM »
As an SIA Licenced Door Supervisor I know that the Licensing Act 2003 makes it illegal to sell alcohol to someone who is drunk, or even to try and buy it on their behalf.

I wonder how many licensees or their staff HAVE actually been prosecuted for selling alcohol to a person who is already obviously intoxicated ?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »
Not enough would be a fair guess. I'm with UBT on this one. These pubs and clubs
are churning out drunks on a daily basis. One eye on the profit margins and a
blind eye to the customers. They have a responsibility towards their safety.

They should be made to keep them on the premises until it's safe to let them out.
That would result in a reduction in drunks and some very smelly licensed premises.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:30:53 PM by kevin3 »

Offline Pussinboots

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 18:37:43 PM »
My Local A & E is instigating some sort of advanced Triage system which will start in late Summer.

From what I can make out there will be medical staff directing people to the right department.  In other words if there is no need for immediate treatment they will be either told to go to a pharmacy, make an appointment with outpatients or go to their GP.  This tells me there is a vast majority of people who don't think before they present themselves for treatment. 

On a further note...I recently had major Cancer surgery... my experience can only be described as a nightmare.  No bed for me to settle into on arrival.  I was directed to a public toilet to change into theatre Gown and then had to walk to theatre.  After 2 days in the High Dependency Unit and one day on the ward I was then told to go home as they didn't want me to catch the infection which was present.  Later found out it was MRSA.  Must admit I was happy to get home despite being still very poorly.  Even care at home was poor with the District Nurse arriving to remove staples but no implement to do so !!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf