Author Topic: What's Happening to Pubs?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
What's Happening to Pubs?
« on: August 25, 2016, 19:15:18 PM »
I went down town to meet a meet a mate today. We went to a couple of of old Bristol pubs: The Llandoger Trow and the Old Duke (50 years+ Bristol's most famous jazz pub. The we went to the Naval Volunteer. It had been renamed The Famous Naval Volunteer. I should have known from this crass cashing-in on past glories. The inside of this grand old pub had been gutted. The bar boasted a dozen handpumps but none were labelled. On the wall was a vast array of beers and a list of prices attached to them.  The lowest prices were 4.20/3.30/2.40/1.40. I asked the asked the barman to explain "Why four prices?". he explained they were for a pint/two-thirds of a pint/half a pint/one third of a pint. What!!! What kind of nonsense is this? A third of a pint? Who ever heard of a thing. The prices of ales went up to £5.20 a pint. What, for a beer? The barman explained that the prices were a little higher than other pubs because all the ales were from independent breweries. Tosh. I was wearing a T-shirt from Butcombe Brewery (and independent brewer). Nearly all the beer I drink comes from independent brewers. And it sure costs less than these inflatied prices. I said "This is not a little higher. It is £1 higher than I intend to pay" ... and I flounced out in high dudgeon, [I've always wanted to use that phrase].

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: What's Happening to Pubs?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 19:24:45 PM »
Is that a district of Bristol?

Offline Laura B

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
Knew them all so well, back in the day. Glad to hear a couple are still more or less the same. Will have to visit next time we're back there.  Won't be able to afford beer though by the sound of it!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:29:44 AM »
Is that a district of Bristol?
Yes, High Dudgeon is on a hill with splendid views over Bristol. Low Dudgeon is down in a dank hollow and is just as horrible as it sounds.

Laura B, the grotesque prices in the Volly are not matched elsewhere - at least not elsewhere I would go. The Llandoger, famous for Robinson Crusoe (and not, in my view, the Admiral Benbow pub in Treasure Island, and certainly not Long John Silver's Spygless hostelry - which is what a sign in the pub claims), remains a beautiful place. If you are coming or going by the airport bus you'll be pleased to know that the pub just outside the bus station, the White Hart, has vastly improved over its recent past of being a nasty hole selling even nastier beer and now boasts its own White Hart House Ale at £3.05 I think.

Here's something to provoke your memories, Laura:

Offline Laura B

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 10:08:59 AM »
Great info, thanks Colwyn.  Great photo too.  Going to have to go down there!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:52:52 AM »
Tell me about it!

I went into a pub in Andover last week and was excited to see a sparklet on one of the pumps! I was looking forward to a pint frothy, northern style beer only to be told that pump was off!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 10:29:25 AM »
Bristolians seem to have stopped the spread of those sparklet things by demanding that bar staff take then off. Unfortunately they have been less successful with those horrid, unhygienic swan neck spouts. Uggh!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 13:41:42 PM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf