Author Topic: Article in Daily Mail  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Dizzy Jan

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Article in Daily Mail
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:03:31 AM »
Sorry Jan did not mean to post over you on this one :) Just did not look properly. :-\

Offline Dizzy Jan

Article in Daily Mail
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:11:27 AM »
Fine tribalelder no problem as the turkish say. Must find that book sound interesting.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Article in Daily Mail
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:39:31 AM »
It is very gripping and even moreso with the publication of this article.
"May 2181. Britain is no more reduced to a mere satelite state at the far reaches of the Arabian Empire......the city is a hub of Islamic power that enslaves the British people.....it came out of the blue on a clear summers day over 160 years ago....."  So begins in the not too distant future.
It is over 600 pages and it was one I did not want to put down
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:40:35 AM by tribalelder »

Offline Old Daffodil

Article in Daily Mail
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
I found the book written by Aasne Seierstaad called the Bookseller of Kabul very interesting. She gave an account of what it felt like to wear a complete cover.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Article in Daily Mail
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 18:05:45 PM »
I don't rate Peter Hitchens very hightly as a journalist; in fact I wouldn't describe him as a journalist at all. Let us look at his evidence for his bold claims.

He visited a tailoring shop in the back streets of Istanbul. It seems he did interview anybody there but contents himself with telling us "It looked to me" and "They knew the women would wear them"? What are you Hitchens? Telepathic? How could you possibly understand what thet knew, or hoped, or guessed, or anticipated? You didn't even talk to them -  you rumour-monger.

He then talks to a variety - a very small variety - of selected contacts. There is a political science professor at Bilgi (which is a relatively new private Trust University in Istanbul which has a good reputation for scholarship) who worries about the AKP trying to gag journalists (as do I). But this is the view of one academic. To "balance" this he goes to the "far side" of the Bosforus (what did you have to drive all the way across the bridge to get to deepest Anatolia?) where he finds a radical journalist who thinks the AKP must protect itself against plots. He them comes up with this gem:
"One [such] intellectual is so nervous about Erdogan's thin skin that he asks me not to name him. Some of his allegations against the government  -  of corruption and Judophobia  -  are so alarming that I can only hint at them here". Great - an unnamed source has told you something so shocking that you can't tell us what it is. Well that must prove it then - whatever it is. To complete the usual lists of suspects we then have a retired general.

This kind of chat will be familar to anyone who picks up a Turkish daily paper - only reading English I consult mostly the Turkish Daily News (I think it has a nw name now) and Zaman Today for views from opposing political directions. The only differences are that TDN and ZT journalists have much more rigorous journalistic standards, have spent some time studying the subject matter and know something about what they are talking about. Their command of English is also better than Hitchens'.

In short this article is composed, in the main part, of supposion and conjecture. Hitchens tries to cover this up by making snide and sneering remarks and some claims which are simply absurd. When Bush and Obama (an unlikely couple) support Turkey they "bleat"; Erdogan cannot simply be "Islamic" he must be "fiercely Islamic". At the height of absurdity he describes Ataturk as "almost as ruthless as Stalin"; as some of you who have a knowledge of 20th century history may remember Stalin was responsible for the death of least at 35 million - but more likely 50 million - of his fellow citizens during "peacetime". All of this is then covered with glop that certain European conservatives (who are they then Hitchens, your drinking chums?) have invented the term "Eurabia". So that's it then. Case proven. Turkey is about to become a fundamentalist Islamic society and Sharia state.

What absolute drivel. It saddens me that this kind of ignorant, loudmouth, bigotry gets published in the UK press. But this is in the Daily Mail, of course, which counts as much as a newspaper as Hitchens does as a journalist. Unfortunately, when the Mail publishes garbage about the UK quite a lot of its readers can quickly see it for what it is. Those who know little about Turkey may suppose that this charlatan has stumbled across some kind of truth.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 19:49:21 PM by Colwyn »

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Article in Daily Mail
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 19:29:30 PM »
"What absolute drivel. It saddens me that this kind of ignorant, loudmoth, bigotry gets published in the UK press"

I agree Colwyn.   Especially when we have been nearly begging the UK press to help the dolphins.

Offline maximumtom

Article in Daily Mail
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 20:21:24 PM »
Well done Colwyn. A good analysis of the article. I am glad you did that; it saved me about 3 hours.

Offline Eric

Article in Daily Mail
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 20:56:05 PM »
You get my vote too Colwyn.  Never read so much drivel for a long time.

Offline janmack

Article in Daily Mail
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 22:13:22 PM »
Peter Hitchens is a scaremonger...I don't think I've ever read an article of his which is unbiased.  
However I do believe that younger Turkish people are becoming more politically/religiously aware and more and more young women are embracing the tradition of covering up.  Their choice...for now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf