Author Topic: first jump off Baba Dağ  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Rayza

Re: first jump off Baba Dağ
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 07:06:56 AM »
We para glided yesterday with Pegus. Company and pilots very professional. Just after my wife and another person in our group  took off the  wind got up and the remaining four of us were delayed by forty minutes, and informed this was for safety reasons. Many other companies were still taking off. The views over Olu Deniz, were breathtaking. Like we did, do your research first and ask plenty of questions. We took out hazardous sports insurance before we left the uk.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 07:41:21 AM »
Last year 15 people died on Babadag......

Last year hundreds died in Fethiye and none of them paraglided. You only live once so try most things once or twice.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 09:04:24 AM »
I did a jump last year and like Loz was dragged on the ground at the start of the jump as the man pulling me fell and dragged me down with him...The wind had dropped and the light was going and we were the last ones on the mountain and they were keen to "get it over with" The top hill is 6000 ft up and full of rubble and stones.. When I fell I was dragged on the ground and dragged over this lot I sustained lots of cuts and bruises and found it difficult to walk for days after.  It took a few minutes from leaving the drop off point for me to get seated and I was "hung on" to the pilot....I still have the scars on my legs.  The day before this to me was when the poor guy died who hadn't been strapped in the harness properly.. He hung on until he dropped and was killed of course.. The pilot is still in prison... I did my jump for The 3 CS but I wouldn't do it again unless it was from the lower area. .Go and watch the air games and see how many professionals get hurt at that...Your life your choice....However safety measure have been improved this year by all accounts and there has only been one killed but if you are that one?

Offline Eric

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »
Do they issue "Superman" costumes then Eric ?? Guarantee of vulnerability with every glass of Raki !!

No Gordon but they do replace all their equipment every year with new gear.  Plus they have genuine insurance not a photocopy of a previous years document which is then altered.  We have all flown with them including Fi's Mother who flew at 89 yrs old and then the following year for her 90th.

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:01 AM »
Menthol I was thinking of the same incident on reading GJMEP's post. As far as I am concerned it only takes the one incident and if that is you, well your number is up.

Last year we saw two tandem "flights" crash in to the trees and there are a lot less of them in the last few years since they tidied up the prom.

Some of the waiters in the bar we go to regularly say there are always minor incidents/accidents............

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:02 AM »
Our front terrace as a full uninterupted view of Babadag. I did the jump the first year. Never again. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up each time I see the rescue helicopter circling the mountain. Its rarely good news. Seriously people have died. Think twice on this one.

Offline lol

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
I have done the jump, fantastic experience and I am glad I have done it. I have no intention or inclination of doing it again but loved it & would recommend doing it at least once in your life.  My friend who is disabled with only 1 leg did it and the pilot was professional  and the support staff great.
Of course there is risk and you need to be comfortable with what you are going. I have no regrets in doing but then I came down safely and am here to tell the tale (and have the photo!)

Offline McGroogle

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 12:40:54 PM »
Life is a risk.
I have jumped off Babadag mountain four times over the past 9 years, the last one being 3 weeks ago.
Other than seeing some reckless paragliders jumping off the mountain in heavy winds and only just getting back to the  beach in time in May one year (their stupid fault) I have seen no accidents whatsoever. All other flights were already cancelled that day.
I am 6'-2" and I have had pilots at 5' and a fart take me down.
When my daughter was 14 years old, me, her and my wife jumped off with no problems at all. Do you think I would have let my daughter and wife do the jump if I seriously thought there life's were in danger - definitely not! The views are amazing and well  worth doing.
Yes do your research and homework and find the best companies, we went with Gravity this year.
Its the old addage 'you have more chance of dying crossing the road'.
Do things that you want to do in life. Regret can linger forever.
Great times.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf