Author Topic: Mosquitoes  (Read 13203 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Re: Mosquitoes
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 13:10:40 PM »
Is 'Avon skin so soft' available in Fethiye ?
We don't check in baggage so are limited to 100ml liquids in hand baggage and Avon is 150ml !!!
5 bottles for £9.99 on-line  :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Avon-Skin-So-Soft-DRY-OIL-SPRAY-Insect-Repellent-NEW-/350637980814?lgeo=1&clk_rvr_id=457824086687&vectorid=229508

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 13:33:27 PM »
Well there is an Avon Turkey website !!!!!
http://www.avon.com.tr/PRSuite/home_page.page
Question is do they sell retail or will Angela have to suss out the nearest Avon party when we arrive ?  ;D

Offline Mrs Hyacinth Bouquet

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 13:50:24 PM »
Does it really work effectively? I get bitten something rotten so always use 50% Deet but it's very expensive if you need enough for 3 months. It also leaves filthy marks on your feet if you're wearing leather shoes.  I hate the little critters but they love me!  :(

Offline Marggie

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 14:03:24 PM »
Sara who used to work in the Card Shop in Fethiye is an agent for Avon.  Her name is Sara Hart and you can find her on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/sarahart.fethiye?fref=ts

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 14:04:54 PM »
Thanks Marggie - Good old CBF  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 15:05:32 PM »
It's not only the mozzies that bite, there are lots of things that bite incluiding some flies and also spiders. It's best not to have a lot of greenery around where you sit or to sit near still water.  Having said that ,we don't think Calis is worse than anywhere else in the Area for mosquitos.  In fact, when we were looking for a property we where told that Calis was fine but Koca Calis was built on a swamp, so not to buy there.  I think now with all the spraying by the council there is not a problem anymore in the area.
We use Avon Skin So Soft but another thing is to take is Vitamin B tablets take one per day a month before you visit.
We find the Avon is fine and works for us, but it must be replenished a couple of times per day.   I am hardly ever bitten now, last visit I was bitten by an earwig in Hisaronu, where they were having a big problem with earwigs, but I was free of mossie bites.
Get some 1% Hydrocortisone cream and put some on a bite immediately you get it.  This cream works wonders.  I would not be without it in Turkey or in the U.K.
We stopped using Deet years ago.  The Americans did a lot of test on Deet and it has now been reduced in their products as it was thought it carries health risks.  Deet will take the stain off a wooden table and the polish from your nails and it is absorbed into the skin, it's also not suitable for children. 

Offline Mrs Hyacinth Bouquet

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 15:31:59 PM »
I'm going to try all those tips, thank you Jacqui.  If the Vit B doesn't do the trick, it will be healthy regardless.

I had no idea that flies could bite and certainly not that earwigs could! The problem for me is that I've never once felt the bite until the morning and I feel and see the evidence. I ended up having to go to hospital one year on one of the Greek Islands. My arms and legs were twice their normal size.

I wasn't aware of the facts about the Deet either but it doesn't surprise me since, as I said, it strips the leather from my footwear.  I do remember someone once mentioning eating Marmite and now I guess that's the whole Vit B thing.

I will take all these snippets of advice onboard and thank you!!

Offline Lorraine

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 15:58:36 PM »
Also Festinel gel (I think that's how you spell it) an antihistimine, sold in every pharmacy works well. I use the plug in liquid things - they appear to work in bedrooms. I was lead to believe basil was a deterrent, so I nurtured a basil plant on our boat...only to witness that mosquitos happily land and settle on the plant! I have also got a battery operated small thing (they sell them in Migros etc), that you put cartridges in (refil packs come with the cartridges and batteries) - these can be used in cars / caravans / boats etc.

Offline screamlead

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 16:01:55 PM »
Have a stand fan blasting on you during the nite - mossies cant fly near it.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 16:11:26 PM »
I rarely get bitten, I use the most effective method known to man - I sleep next to someone who gets bitten all the time :D

If I do get bitten, its normally right at the top of my bum crack. Disgusting creatures. Wondering now if I should have shared that info.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf