Author Topic: Discussion about Steak  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Discussion about Steak
« on: August 25, 2012, 19:26:38 PM »
We tried an Indian meal at Bambu and found it surprising good. 

I must ask Jacqui, why eating a steak in Calis is unforgivable but an Indian buffet isn't :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Discussion about Steak
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 21:03:05 PM »
Probably because we can get the best steaks in the world in Scotland, so nothing compares when we go abroad. Great Steak is the norm for us. In fact, we just had two lovely Scottish Fillet Steaks.  However, it seems to be the gauge of a great restaurant in Turkey by lots of reviewers,so many times I read about a new restaurant and then see the inevitable words "the best steak I ever had"   I often wonder why eating out means eating steak?
We where at the Auction Night and were in the Bambu after a few drinkies we decided to have a meal and the waiter, who we know well asked us if we would like to try their new menu for  Indian food and we agreed.  However, I would stay 90% of the meals we eat in  the Calis area are Turkish.  It's the first Indian meal we have ever had in Turkey... However, Hell may freeze over before I have a steak.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 21:43:52 PM »
have not tried the Bambu curry night but think we will in the future. I am now realising about Jacqui and her steaks (in a nice way Jacqui  :)) sometimes I  want a steak in Turkey just for the hell of it and to this day I have not found a good one at all, the only thing that came close was having the cheateau briand at the Meeting Point the meat was the best I have ever tasted in Turkey and all served up by the lovely Ahmed and his team  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 21:50:06 PM »
I think people should have what they want on holiday. We love to try the local dishes but you would possibly get very bored of it 7 or 14 nights on the trot. We'll normally have a full English breakfast at least once, and the same with Indian - we'll find a good one if only just to have a good change for a night. Except in Turkey, where the Indian restaurants are generally rubbish. I would say the best Indian I have ever had in Turkey isn't as good as the worst Indian I have had in the UK.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 23:11:58 PM »
I totally agree Scunner, people should have what they want on holiday.  Probably if I lived in Turkey I would want an occasional steak.  However, I can honestly say that steak is the last thing I would order on holiday as it seems so mundane and ordinary, but each to his own... As someone once said.. Let them eat Steak (or was it Cake). :P  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 23:31:40 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline janmack

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 23:27:40 PM »
Quite a strange feeling for me but I actually agree with Jacqui on something....Scottish steak!  I never understand it when I'm told "I had the best steak ever in Bella Mamas/Orient etc etc."   
The meat here is very different to Scottish meat. 
When we do fancy a steak we will cook it ourselves to our own taste as the few times we've had it restaurants the steak has always been quite chewy...OK very chewy : :)
Phil and I have not yet had a good curry in a restaurant here however most Friday nights we have darn good ones, once again, at home ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 00:00:26 AM »
Strangely enough, I have had some great steaks in Turkey - but not for years. One of the best was at the Teras restaurant above the Bus Stop, the first season that was open, and there was a place in Ortaca we used to go to when visiting Crabbit in Koycegiz that was exceptional - not just steaks but everything.

Steaks recently are very poor - and I assume it is down to rising meat prices, and cheaper cuts being used (although I know very little about cuts of meat!!) - Mrs Scunner describes recent ones as like "beefsteak", a description that I do understand.

Offline dycedon

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:43:53 AM »
Teras, now theres going back a wee while, they used to do a good proper fillet steak, it is not often i have a steak eating out, home or abroad but i did try La Teras on the reccomendation of my wife and it was very good, i prefer turkish food but as Scunner says 14 days you get a bit fed up so i try a bit of spicy, piri piri chicken or something along that lines.
   ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »
The chef at La Terace cooked beautiful steak dishes. ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:37:33 AM by Highlander »

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 14:16:43 PM »
have not tried the Bambu curry night but think we will in the future. I am now realising about Jacqui and her steaks (in a nice way Jacqui  :)) sometimes I  want a steak in Turkey just for the hell of it and to this day I have not found a good one at all, the only thing that came close was having the cheateau briand at the Meeting Point the meat was the best I have ever tasted in Turkey and all served up by the lovely Ahmed and his team  :)

Whenever we wanted a steak I cooked it at home. The nicest steak I had was from Kipa's meat counter and it melted in the mouth. It was called Dana Bonfil and some restaurants use it in their Chateau Briand.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf