Author Topic: average prices for beer and spirits  (Read 17010 times)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Re: average prices for beer and spirits
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 16:12:56 PM »
And only a Scotsman would have worked that out so quick John.  ;)  :)

Offline Old Nick

• Newly Registered
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2014, 16:14:21 PM »
My point entirely H. And IF the lire strengthened to say 2.5 it is a very expensive meal indeed.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 18:24:40 PM »
And only a Scotsman would have worked that out so quick John.    ;)    :)

It''s a gift Des   :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 18:53:04 PM »
H, I've done a trawl through back posts and, unfortunately, can't find any reference for 6 years ago -indeed not for anytime - that gives a stat which is similar to Jacqui's  (i.e. get typical meal for £x). However, my memory tells that when I first came to Turkey/Calis in the 1990s people were raving about how cheap it was to eat out, saying it was cheaper to eat than in the UK by several times - perhaps Turkey a quarter of UK price. In my opinion that isn't true now. Those of us who live in the UK know places where we can eat equally as cheaply as in Turkey if not cheaper. I am not talking about pubs where you can get "Two meals for  £7.99" or such like - and there are plenty of those. I am talking about places where you get ingredients prepared on the premises and freshly cooked. One of our favourites, a 20 minute walk from where we live, is a Moroccan restaurant where, whatever we order, we seem unable to break above the £22 barrier for 2 people/2 courses. If we go for dessert it gets to £25. Now, that doesn't include drinks. It is a BYO so we can spend as much, or as little, as we like on this. I think it helpful to subtract "drinks" from the statement of the bill. We might have an overpriced bottle of Turkish red when we are on holiday: you might have a couple of glasses of Efes. You can tell me that you can buy cheaper in Calis; but it won't be the "quarter UK price" that people used to talk about. Which is not surprising when you see the price of meat at the butchers - e.g. lamb, per kilo, is more than we pay in the UK.

Offline sadler

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 19:20:21 PM »
 ;D ;D  :)  :)  :)
Not about spelling mistakes at all.   It seems like the said lady assumed this was the correct spelling for the restaurant and the name of the owner as she was mystified at the posting.  So no mistakes made by her.
She is now turning this posting around to assure people it was merely spelling mistakes on her behalf and I am the villain of the peace....very cute.
Jacqui if I wasn't confused before I certainly am now!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2014, 20:35:29 PM »
I still think a meal with drinks for £30 is cheap.  The other factor is the amount of spirits you get in a glass.
I bought my own tins of slimline tonic and just asked for gin.  The amount of gin they put in the glass was something I had not realised before.  It was about 3/4 full.
Anyway,  I really do not care.  Love Calis, love the people, love the restaurants, so who gives a flying fig whether we can find a restaurant in the U.K. for £30.00 a meal with drinks.   It's a holiday, lets enjoy it.  If someone does not like it, they can easily book and go to another country.   ;) :P :-*

Offline sadler

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2014, 20:41:13 PM »
I still think a meal with drinks for £30 is cheap.  The other factor is the amount of spirits you get in a glass.
I bought my own tins of slimline tonic and just asked for gin.  The amount of gin they put in the glass was something I had not realised before.  It was about 3/4 full.
Anyway,  I really do not care.  Love Calis, love the people, love the restaurants, so who gives a flying fig whether we can find a restaurant in the U.K. for £30.00 a meal with drinks.   It's a holiday, lets enjoy it.  If someone does not like it, they can easily book and go to another country.    ;) :P :-*

Offline sadler

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2014, 20:44:36 PM »
Sorry couldn't quite work out how the "quote" works. Three quarters full Jacqui, my God doesn't it show! You enjoy yourself my love.!!!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2014, 20:56:15 PM »
Sorry couldn't quite work out how the "quote" works.

Don't worry about it Sadler. Scunner just loves writing and posting the "How To" tutorials.  ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2014, 21:24:09 PM »
so who gives a flying fig whether we can find a restaurant in the U.K. for £30.00 a meal with drinks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf