Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 13810 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 12:59:53 PM »
You don't have to Wait?

Only works (I think) if you have a product key - whereas doing it the "update" method is click and forget, so to speak.

JF

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 13:09:53 PM »
I am not very technical but I had no problems with the page I took Windows from... no key no nothing.... One laptop was running Windows 7.  The other was Windows 8... both took two hours to download.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 13:13:22 PM »
Want a job then?

JF

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 13:45:28 PM »
I followed the instructions in the link provided by JF and I'm now in the process of downloading Windows 10. The only thing to note is that the instructions tell you to enter a command whilst the windows update process is running. In actual fact you have to wait until the updates are finished, reload the PC and then type in the command. If you do it that way your PC will start the Windows 10 download automatically (well at least it did on my laptop).

So far so good.  ;D

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 16:44:53 PM »
Let us know what you think about it.. I am liking it so far....

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 16:52:25 PM »
My first attempt failed but having had a thunk and a cup of tea I realised what had caused the problem. The notes in JF's link are (to quote Eric Morcambe) "all the right notes not nessesarily in the right order". It also misses out a couple of vital reloads along the way. I've now successfully upgraded from W8 to W10 and here's how I did it.....

1. First upgrade from W8 to W8.1 and reload
2. Install all the mandatory and optional upgrades on top of W8.1 and reload.
3. You should now have a window icon in your SysTray (bottom right corner) which says
    "Get Windows 10". If you have then proceed to step 4, if not seek advice from t'internet but don't go on without it.
4. Delete all files contained in the folder c:\windows\software distribution\download - there were over 17,000 in my case.
5. Got to search (top left hand corner) and enter CMD. Right click in the Command Prompt box which has just appeared. Scroll down and select the "Run as Administrator" option.
6. At the Command Prompt which appears enter "wuauclt.exe/upgradenow" (without the quotation marks)
7. Go to Settings\Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update. You should now see Windows 10 downloading.

After it downloads and installs you will be prompted to "Continue" at the Configuration stage, this is the only interaction you will need to do. End to end it took me about 3.5 hours.

Best of Luck   ;)

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 16:58:24 PM »
Hi Mercury  - I need to play with it for a while before deciding whether to keep it or not. (cue KKOB for a smart response   ;))

I'll get back to you.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 17:05:54 PM »
Well done Steve  :)

Let us know what you think about it.. I am liking it so far....

It is a big step forward for Micro$oft, I ran it for a couple of weeks last month and *may* upgrade our windows machines.  Haven't decided yet...

The biggest issue I have with W10 is the assorted privacy issues many folks have highlighted. 

This article takes you through the steps you need to go through to stop sending all your personal data to Micro$oft:

Windows 10 Is Spying On You: Here’s How To Stop It

This article is also worth reading:

Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out

JF

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 17:24:30 PM »
Ok first problem - no sound. There is a fix on Utube but it doesn't work for me.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 17:32:39 PM »
S'ok - it's just the crappy default MS apps for music and video that don't produce any sound. If I use my preferred apps of AVS for music and VLC for video then all is ok. Phew!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf