Author Topic: Is it getting expensive ?  (Read 45624 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Is it getting expensive ?
« on: May 14, 2005, 11:50:47 AM »
Just got back from Calis and the first thing that struck me was how alchohol has soared in price, our party of 4 drank local whisky & coke, average price for a round was 32 lira (£12.80) we paid a record 42 lira (£16.80) for the same round in Hisaronu. Meals with drinks ( beers )averaged between £75 to £100 for our group of 4 people.

There are notable exceptions to the above, Aydin Pide, Dragenoro Chinese, Duck Pond etc. all still very cheap and great quality.

I have never needed to wear glasses but lately have trouble seeing small print, so I took advantage of a free eye test and was prescribed glasses, without going for a ' designer ' frame they wanted £240, which seems really expensive to me?

My experience is hardly scientific, but it does seem to me that a lot of private enterprise regards foreigners as millionaires and is starting to test where the ceiling is, house prices are now fast approaching Spanish levels and some bar and restaurant owners seem to be following suit. I for one never thought I would see the day where I could enjoy a drink in central London cheaper than it is in Hisaronu.

Lets hope I am wrong !

Rimms
skint !
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 15:19:50 PM by Rimms »

Offline Tykatem

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 15:27:21 PM »
Hi Rimms.......We got back from Ovacik/Hisaronu last night, I tend to agree with you that some bar/restaurant owners are trying to test the water in how much they can charge the unsuspecting tourist, though we did find that many of the bar prices were the same as last year ie 2.5 Lira for a large eefes.
     As in previous years at the start of the season, the prices start high but as the weeks go on, the prices come down. I think it's a case of certain proprietors chancincing their arm.

Pete

Offline Jenny

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 15:35:15 PM »
how much is it for a local spirit and a mixer then this year?
Theyre taking the mickey with the prices increasing by about a million each year, last year the prices were about the same price as england so theyre taking the mick if theyve gone up again!

Jenny.x.

Offline Diana

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 17:03:13 PM »
In some bars I went in in April, a brandy cola was 5 million.  I think this was about the same as last year?

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 17:49:52 PM »
Jenny,

Our worst case was more than 10 lira for a local spirit & mixer.

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 06:36:31 AM »
In April I found that Raki and water was 5YTL everywhere I went, as it was last year, but if people are going to try it on now will be the time to hike the prices just before the main holiday season.
Pete

Offline Sylvia Wilkins

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 08:53:16 AM »
Friends of our came back from Calish on Friday and they also said how expensive it was to eat and drink out.
We are flying out to Altinkum tonight so will see how much the prices have gone up from last year.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 08:54:06 AM by Sylvia Wilkins »

Offline Linda

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 09:46:14 AM »
Rimms - good to hear that Draganaro was still reasinable - can you give me an idea how much you were paying for a meal for 4 please.

Whereabouts were you drinking for the £16.80 round in H?

Thanks
Linda :)

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 10:21:11 AM »
Linda,

Dragenoro was fantastic, we ate of the set meal menu where you could choose from a selection of dishes, four courses cost just £7.80 per person ( as you know Dragenoro menu is priced in pounds ) the rip off bar was called something like Bar Atem? it is on the right just before you get to the telephone boxes, I think it may be part of a hotel? avoid it !!

Rimms

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 11:46:12 AM »
Where is Dragenoro?  Can't say I've seen it?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf