Author Topic: Four deaths in 5 days-and it's not Midsommer  (Read 3271 times)

Offline suehugh

Four deaths in 5 days-and it's not Midsommer
« on: March 18, 2014, 20:16:53 PM »
There would be a public outcry if people were involved.
But it's just horses at Cheltenham

And we have the Grand National pending
2 deaths last year I think.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Four deaths in 5 days-and it's not Midsommer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 20:36:43 PM »
I'm not half as worried about the fate of a few well trained and well nourished thoroughbreds as I am about the hundreds of horses being abandoned and starving to death in fields around the UK.

Offline suehugh

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 20:58:48 PM »
I don't disagree with you.
Can't save them all

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 22:30:23 PM »
Any animal, specially dogs and horses who are left to die, abandoned and alone upsets me very much, but I do feel much of the problems are caused by the greedy vets who make a very good profit from the insurance companies when your pet is insured, but when the owners cannot afford the premiums still sting you for hundreds of pounds most people cannot afford.  This causes many people who do care for their animals to abandon them rather than bankrupt themselves paying vets bills

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:10:07 AM »
Lets hope they send the dead horses to africa /syria to save some human live's  >:(

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:18:19 AM »
I really can't see someone who cares for their animals abandoning them if they can't afford treatment. 
Agree that vet's bills can be staggering so I would be sure I could afford insurance if I were to have a pet. Circumstances can change for people and maybe they can no longer afford it but does that mean you leave your pet in a field to die - someone who doesn't care might.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »
I agree Bluwise, circumstances do change but a lot of the time I think that they are abandoned by people who can afford the bills but just don't care about the animal itself.  >:(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 08:15:57 AM »
Happens all the time.  My D.I.L. who has two horsed reported two horses in a field near us that were very badly neglected.  The case was so bad that the horses were signed over and removed within a couple of days.  After seeng a Vet one was put down, the other which was full of worms and could hardly walk as it's hooves were so overgrown, was brought back to health and eventually re-homed. This all done through a Charity Organisation.
Calling out a Vet to a horse will always be around £100.00.  just to get them out is a basic £25.00 before any treatment.  People do not realise how expensive it is to have a horse.  Horses need injections, hooves trimming, shoeing.  Then they need hay and horse food, bedding for the stable when the weather is bad.  The list goes on it's around £2.000 per year to keep a horse.
I was speaking to a friend yesterday who had been at a local livestock auction centre  There was a horse sale and the horses were making as little as £5.00 each, the sad thing is this means they go for horse meat.  Apparently even a thoroughbred well worth over £2,000 only made £200 and one poor horse could not even get a bid.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:15:41 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 09:51:44 AM »
Believe me Jacqui I do not in any way condone any animal being abandoned, but all the welfare organisations and charities seem to be overwhelmed by the problem of abandoned animals, I do not know the solution to the problem but daily you read in the press more disturbing stories.  I hate the thought of the wild ponies in the New Forest and other places being sold for meat because the owners cannot be bothered and are hoping that someone else will take on the responsibility.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »
There is no solution to the problem of unwanted horses.  My D.I.L. who is totally involved and mad about horses. Told me recently of a gypsy trying to sell her a horse.  We have found out they are renting land locally and buying up cheap horses.  My D.I.L. has been down for a look and she was upset and the horses are not being looked after at all and are thin and neglected.   We dread to think what is going to happen to them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf