Author Topic: Compensation for flight delays  (Read 5517 times)

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Compensation for flight delays
« on: July 04, 2014, 00:01:14 AM »
What do we think about the guy who successfully sued Jet2 for a 3 hour delay. I personally think he is a selfish b*stard. To me delays are part and parcel of air travel. I don't like them but I accept them. Remember that the crew may have had double the delay but they are still expected to carry on with a smile on their face.
If this sets a precedent it will lead to even more extortionate air fares.

Offline John64

• Newly Registered
Re: Compensation for flight delays
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:42:14 AM »
Every airline has an obligation to compensate for delays. This compensation can go up to 600 euros per passenger depending on distance and time of the delay. It should be sufficient to send them a letter claiming the money but some of the airlines are a bit more reluctant and refuse to pay. In these situations people have no other option then to step to court.

If you want to blame someone, blame the EU-highcourt as they are the ones who made the ruling in a previous case years ago.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »
I tend to agree with Ken, we had a long delay with Thomas Cook last year but were well compensated with two lots of vouchers to get food in the airport, a free meal and free drink on the plane.  Because we were going for a long period and had paid very little for our flights, to us it was merely an inconvenience.  However, for people on a weeks holiday or travelling with young children it was quite different.

If everybody starts claiming compensation fares will have to increase and airlines could go out of business.  Fewer airlines flying to a destination increases demand and the knock on effect is dearer fares.

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
I would suggest it would be better to have a compensation scale dependent upon the reason for the delay. If it was for safety reasons I would suggest there shouldn't be any compensation but if it was for sloppy service it should be payable. I have no idea how you could police it of course.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »
My view is we never get cheap flights from T.C.  It was £756.00 for two flights in May from Aberdeen to Dalaman.  We did look at other Scottish Airports, but prices were similar.  We could have flown to N.Y. cheaper.
If we paid a very low price and were delayed it would not be a big deal. We would not have paid a lot, as others are saying.  We paid £756.00 and if we are delayed for hours then I do want compensation. 
Members are worry about compensation putting up prices.  I understand this as in England cheap flights are normal.  I think it would be different if you got delayed for a long period of time after paying the prices for flights that we do.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 13:12:15 PM »
Ken I have to agree with you. I think there should be sanctions on airlines for delays but paying compo often more than the value of the flight is not commercially viable. It is inevitable that flight prices will increase. Sanctions should be about providing sufficient notification and updating passengers of what is happening. and providing suitable accommodation as soon as it is apparent that accommodation is required etc.
We were delayed 26 hours years ago on one of the last flights of the season out of Dalaman. We were kept in the airport for about 8 hours. We were told by a holiday rep due on the flight that the plane was not scheduled to leave Manchester until the following morning yet we were kept at the airport all day.

Offline IanK

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 16:37:27 PM »
I don't know the detail of the Jet2 claim, but the rules only allow a claim if the reason for the delay is not exceptional - and exceptional includes: Bad weather, damage caused by weather, unexpected technical faults, security (ie unruly passengers and removing unaccompanied baggage).

So the allowable options  for a claim are fairly slim - usually related to incompetence, bad planning or maintenance. etc.

I agree with Ken - airlines don't delay unless they have to as any delay is costing them money somewhere - even without passenger claims.

Ian

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 09:26:02 AM »
We were delayed in Portugal in April.  We were treated worse than animals.  We were provided with 18 euros in vouchers (and made to march all through the airport to collect them, even those in wheelchairs) and that was it for 14 hours.  We were not kept informed about anything that was happening, the medics were with people who were diabetics, we were herded on the buses to aircraft, stood looking at the aircraft for 30 minutes with the door shut, when eventually we started banging the doors as people were near to collapse, they simply took us all back to the airport!  Eventually we took off back to East mids rather than Birmingham and even when we arrived in the UK, we were forced to stand in a queue for 2 hours for buses to take us back to Birmingham.  Despite knowing we were en route, they had failed to order buses.....All in all, it was dealt with awfully.  A lot fewer people would claim if only they were treated better....that was Monarch by the way....

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 14:05:58 PM »
We were shafted by Monarch the other week. Got to Manc and saw a two hour delay on the board. Boarded plane after 1.5 hours then sat waiting another 2 hrs whilst they waited for baggage handlers. Had they kept us in the terminal they would have had to provide refreshments.

Didn't even get a bottle of water. Some complained but got nowhere.

Flight was good and staff were lovely but got the feeling they were told to get us on board in the hope we would just sit and wait.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 16:50:36 PM »
We flew Birmingham--Dalaman last month with Monarch and it was one of the best experiences we have
had on that route, everything was good. There again,we have flown that route for nine years and never
had a delay worth talking about so perhaps we've been very lucky.
Reading Lynnes post that is a disgusting way for a business to treat it's customers and they SHOULD face
a sanction. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf