Author Topic: Facebook - Love it ? Hate it ?  (Read 6853 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Facebook - Love it ? Hate it ?
« on: July 20, 2014, 16:11:45 PM »
I sometimes feel that I can't tell my family any 'news' because it
has already been 'advertised' by the lovely Angela on Facebook.
Some would say "Join Facebook then you dinosaur !!!!!"
Whatever happened to phone and text conversation  :(
I'm voting for Erdogan to ban Facebook when we 'arrive'   ;D ;D ;D

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Facebook - Love it ? Hate it ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 16:30:05 PM »
I have stayed clear from ChimpBook from the beginning.  The web equivalent of the Jeremy Vile show.  Not for me thanks.

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 17:02:48 PM »
It's a 'NO' from me ;D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 17:07:52 PM »
Ah, The Mary Whitehouse way of looking at the world.

"I've never watched it, but people enjoy it, so it should be avoided".  ;)

Offline Harmless

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 17:16:45 PM »
I love it.  It helps me keep in touch with my family in the UK and up to date with local happenings.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 17:23:07 PM »
I use it (it's the only way I can get the kids to communicate).

But it's a double edged sword - it is swallowing up huge numbers of other websites, websites like this one. Without exception every day I see photos, details of events in Calis and Fethiye, warnings etc on Facebook that the poster would once have put on here, and later would at least have put on both. 

In fact, huge Calis & Fethiye stories - like the recent handbag snatching incidents/warnings were put on the Fethiye group 3 times by 3 different CBF members that I noticed who didn't even think to mention it on here at all - the home of CB :(

It's not people turning their backs on CBF, these are long standing, loyal CBFers - the cause is people thinking Facebook has the bigger audience so there is no need to post to two sites. Of course it is a bigger by far but many CBF members are not on it and not posting on here leaves them uninformed.

So that's my opinion on Facebook. All the good we have helped achieve locally over the years compared with the big fat zero Facebook has done all counts for nothing. As time goes on Facebook gets bigger and we get slightly smaller each week. I am entirely convinced that soon enough I will be making a post thanking you all for your support for an amazing 12/13/14 years and closing up. And I'll still be proud of that 12/13/14 years but sometimes you know you can't compete with the big boys.

Sorry you did ask  :)

Offline sadler

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 17:41:49 PM »
Only went on because my emails were hit and miss getting to friends in Turkey. Can now communicate with my grandchildren ( who would have thought it) as am now "cool". However, I have never "got" it. Why would you speak to someone who may be in the other room or a mile up the road on Facebook for the whole world to see.   But. As time went on, I have reunited with friends, sent special messages and kept up to date with family goings on which would have passed me by previously as I was out of the loop.

I am ashamed to say that I am now addicted, but have been fortunate enough to have not been involved or included in any on line abuse. Yes it can be useful in the right hands, but can also be a weapon of misery and destruction. Could I live without it.  Absolutely.  And would I miss it.   Yes, but I would have so much more time for the important things in life.

Offline sadler

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 17:51:42 PM »
Added to my previous contribution is my absolute annoyance at Facebook offering me people "who I may know" and offering to be a go between for them to be my friends.  I WILL. MAKE MY OWN FRIENDS THANK YOU!

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 18:12:09 PM »
I love it, especially as a tool for keeping in touch with various family members spread across the world who aren't necessarily in the most convenient time zones for phone calls.

Yes, it has its drawbacks, but the positives for me far outweigh them.
(Been good for business too.)

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 18:23:25 PM »
Love catching up with friends and family, all over the world. I like looking at the funny things people post, the serious, the humerous..yes i,m addicted.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf