Author Topic: Taking a TV to Turkey  (Read 7950 times)

Offline Gilly1

• Gillian Grundy
Taking a TV to Turkey
« on: January 23, 2011, 14:51:11 PM »
Hi,  Has anybody tried taking  tv over to Turkey on the plane? We have taken things over all shapes and sizes but never anything as delicate as a tv. There are so many bargains around at the moment and they are so expensive over in Turkey. Just wondered if anyone had successfully taken one over.

Offline Gilly1

• Gillian Grundy
Taking a TV to Turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 14:55:54 PM »
Whoops sorry Scunner, I think I put this in the wrong section.:(

Offline grahamturner09

Taking a TV to Turkey
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 15:20:11 PM »
By the time you pay the import duty in Turkey it isn't such a cheap option having said that I did see someone on the plane one year with a 19in telly in his hand luggage

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Taking a TV to Turkey
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 15:32:16 PM »
Yes it is a gamble - if you don't get stopped (and you probably wouldn't), it's a great idea but as Graham says - if you do and get clobbered for the duty it won't be good economics. I'd probably do the smaller tv in hand luggage if I was to do it. Actually, I got stopped just the once after the final leg of a Turkish Airlines Heathrow - Istanbul - Dalaman flight and I bought a dvd + vhs player in the UK. The customs guy found it and lifted it up to see what was underneath (ham and cheese as I recall  :) ) then thanked me and cleared off!

Offline kizkucuk

Taking a TV to Turkey
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 16:23:37 PM »
The tax depends on the size of the screen.  Guess if it's cheap enough and you don't mind dumping it at customs if caught with it it's worth it.  I suppose you could put it in pretty wrapping paper and say a Turkish friend asked you to deliver a birthday present to his his elderly mother - you may be luck and they won't open it or tax you  :-)

Offline Gilly1

• Gillian Grundy
Taking a TV to Turkey
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 16:27:56 PM »
Thanks guys. I was thinking of a larger one so will probably have a look at Erins spot to see what he could do one for.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Taking a TV to Turkey
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 16:39:47 PM »
Think you would be better to look into either Migros or Kipa.  Eren Spot are great for furniture and white goods, but we found the price of their televisions not as good as the big supermarkets.  We bought a flat screen 26" T.V. in Migros for 450 YTL last year.  Later we saw similiar ones and also bigger ones in Kipa at very good prices.

Offline posleeds

Taking a TV to Turkey
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 17:07:42 PM »
Sok (part of Migros) have quite a large screen TV in at the moment 249TL - it's NOT a flat screen model though

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Taking a TV to Turkey
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 17:10:41 PM »
Vestel are worth a look for TVs - they are one of the biggest manufacturers of televisions in Europe now. If you think they aren't going to be as good as a Sony or Toshiba, you may be surprised to hear that there is a decent chance that they made those for them too.

Offline fernando torres

Taking a TV to Turkey
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 18:27:16 PM »
Cheapest place for T.Vs in Fethiye is Techno spa just along from the otogar 42inch Samsung/Toshiba/Panasonic 1200 Lira at todays exchange rate 2.50 these are good prices

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf