Author Topic: Riverboat Soul  (Read 8870 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Riverboat Soul
« on: January 03, 2012, 15:36:59 PM »
Pokey Lafarge and the South City Three have posted videos of their New Year's Eve songs on the Jools Holland Hootenanny show plus some other stuff on:
http://www.pokeylafarge.net/

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Riverboat Soul
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 16:15:03 PM »
I also saw these fine fellows on Jools' Hooternanny (copyright Pete Seeger) myself, and I like what I heard. 8) :)

I love new songs being written and performed in the style of the various American roots music.  I shall be purchasing some of their tracks to accompany another performer of American Roots music I also adore, C W Stoneking.  I saw him performing live in Brighton with a three piece backing band, musical perfection for me[^]

Offline usedbustickets

Riverboat Soul
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 16:33:01 PM »
On a more general point, the whole Jools Holland show was once again a toure de force, full of fantastic performances from great acts like Betty Wright, Ruby Turner, Jessie J, Cindie Lauper and even Sandie Shaw.  If you haven't seen it it's still available on BBC Iplayer, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0195p7h/Jools_Annual_Hootenanny_31_12_2011/but only for another four days - so don't miss it.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Riverboat Soul
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 16:45:56 PM »
I thought Imelda May was particularly good (Ruby Turner always is, of course).

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Riverboat Soul
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 17:16:32 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by usedbustickets

I also saw these fine fellows on Jools' Hooternanny (copyright Pete Seeger) myself, and I like what I heard. 8) :)

I love new songs being written and performed in the style of the various American roots music.  I shall be purchasing some of their tracks to accompany another performer of American Roots music I also adore, C W Stoneking.  I saw him performing live in Brighton with a three piece backing band, musical perfection for me[^]

If this gig was last month at Concord 2 with his primitive horn orchestra, I was also there, wonderful stuff and a good story teller to boot.
 8)

Offline usedbustickets

Riverboat Soul
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 17:58:47 PM »
Damn I missed that at the Concorde[:(!] I saw him last year (2011) when he performed at the Komedia in Brighton.

Offline usedbustickets

Riverboat Soul
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 18:12:26 PM »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Riverboat Soul
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 18:45:42 PM »
Thanks UBT, I had not come across Stoneking before. I have been listening to a few tracks and deciding whether to buy King Hokum or Jungle Blues or both. Then I looked him up on Wiki (if you haven't sent yout donation, send it now folks!) and found he was born to American parents in Northern Territories, Australia and currently resides in - guess where - the great city of Bristol!

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Riverboat Soul
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 18:50:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

Thanks UBT, I had not come across Stoneking before. I have been listening to a few tracks and deciding whether to buy King Hokum or Jungle Blues or both. Then I looked him up on Wiki (if you haven't sent yout donation, send it now folks!) and found he was born to American parents in Northern Territories, Australia and currently resides in - guess where - the great city of Bristol!

Buy them both, treat yourself
 8)

Offline usedbustickets

Riverboat Soul
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 19:38:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

Yep he's one generation removed from the Mississippi Delta, and it looks like he has now moved to the old slave port on the Severn Delta:D ;) Although I am not sure what musical inspiration he'll find there, short of that well known western 'bubba' Reg Presley 8)

I'd also endorse what Mike says, buy both King Hokum and Jungle Blues.  One, if not both are sure to soon join your favourites list.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf