Author Topic: another twist to sgk?  (Read 14034 times)

Offline grizabella

another twist to sgk?
« on: July 27, 2012, 16:47:53 PM »
Have just been speaking to a chap that is returning to the UK permanently.He registered for the sgk insurance but decided to opt out.When speaking with his lawyer yesterday he was told to pay the back payments or he may be stopped at the airport and prevented from leaving the country till the debt was paid.Does anyone have any information or personal experience of this happening?I am returning to the UK on the 7th August for 2 weeks.I also registered but decided to opt out of sgk and am concerned that I may have trouble at the airport.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: another twist to sgk?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 17:11:27 PM »
How the hell is anyone at Dalaman departures going to know what someone who is leaving the country has, or has not paid ?? What a complete load of utter crap some people believe !!  >:(
He will probably also believe that he is going to be extradited and banned from coming back for 5 years !!

Offline Stan

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 17:22:26 PM »
Carefull GordonA ,they might think you're a laydeeee when you return if they see your piccy!  ;)  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 17:27:34 PM »
As I understand things, you don't get asked for your passport everywhere you go in Turkey for nothing - if you owe someone something (or have broken the law) the passport check at Dalaman is one of the places that could flag this up. Whether it would or not for SGK is debatable - their computer systems don't seem to be that reliable  ;)

Offline yabanci

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 18:26:29 PM »
if you owe someone something (or have broken the law) the passport check at Dalaman is one of the places that could flag this up.

Not could flag this up but will flag it up.

Offline grizabella

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 19:33:10 PM »
Thing is,I was lead to believe that although I had registered at the sgk I was not obliged to join the scheme.As for checking passports at the airport.Its the checking of my blue book that could flag up the non payment as my registration number is there.What I really need to know is .......because I  registered am I now obliged to join the scheme and should I do this before I leave on the 7th August.Has anyone in my situation (registered but not made any payments) left Turkey recently and did they have any problems at pasport control?

Offline Carolyn1957

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:54:21 AM »
As I understand things, you don't get asked for your passport everywhere you go in Turkey for nothing - if you owe someone something (or have broken the law) the passport check at Dalaman is one of the places that could flag this up. Whether it would or not for SGK is debatable - their computer systems don't seem to be that reliable  ;)

Yep, three or four years ago on around four or five occasions, every time we came on holiday scanning my husband's passport brought up a huge red warning on the security screen on arrival or departure in Dalaman. I know because the first time it happened I had already come through passport control into Turkey. They made him stand to one side and wouldn't let me back through so I stood behind the booth. His passport was whisked away and eventually men in suits came and let him through. We had the same experience when we left the country.

When we asked why a friendly little soul in a suit told us it was "because we can".  It eventually transpired that his first name and surname corresponds with that of someone who they were looking for. Fortunately my husband has a middle name which the other person did not. Quite scary the first couple of times it happened and it became increasingly annoying thereafter. We met someone else in the same predicament one time - he had apparently been going through this for around six years and had contacted the British Consulate to try and get an explanation and the problem sorted.

There is a couple in Kaya who are leaving the country shortly and who have had an ongoing battle regarding SGK. They were told they could not cancel it and that it would remain "live" for the duration of their RP whether or not they were in Turkey. They have been trying to get their RPs cancelled and I think they were successful but there have been so many twists and turns that I wouldn't like to say the current situation or predict the final outcome.

Offline quackers

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »
My Turkısh frıend says he should go to the SGK offıce and see what they have under his name for SGK and get ıt cancelled before he leaves. Saves any hassle at the aırport.

Offline grizabella

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 07:46:10 AM »
My friend Tony tried to do this and they told him he had to pay the outstanding debt although he had told them from the beginning he wanted to opt out.He was also informed that the payments would still continue even when he had left the country till his blue book expired.This will make him liable for the paytments should he ever return to Turkey!Just doesnt seem right to me.What I still want to know is........Has anyone left Turkey recently who has decided to opt out of sgk after registering,and what if any hassle did they get at the airport?

Offline hubblebubbles

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
Watching this with much interest as like many others I understood we had to register by a certain date or face a hefty fine. Once it was established that joining was not compulsory and you had a choice I assumed that unless I started paying I was not entitled to the health benefits. Why are Turkish rules so adaptable to the authorities yet there is no need to inform anyone of any changes made.Wishing you luck on your outward journey on the 7th Edie.........

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf