Author Topic: another twist to sgk?  (Read 14632 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
another twist to sgk?
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »
I asked on another thread about paying SGK at Garanti and apparently it's not possible.

We went and signed up for ours this week, thankfully we took a Turkish advisor with us who had filled out our application forms. The lady in the SGK office started typing our details into the computer and soon announced "Problem" it seems that some addresses are not on their database. We then had to travel into the council offices in Fethiye, on the ground floor we registered our details with a guy who took our residency and Kimlik numbers, he then printed off some forms, one of which we have to hand into the Mutar. The other forms we took back to the SGK office and they set us up without any further problem. We are back into town this morning to make our first payment, after which we are covered. By the way, we are not being asked to make any back payment as our first year of residency was completed this month.

Offline janmack

Re: another twist to sgk?
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
Thanks George.  We're just going to go to one of the banks to pay from now on :)

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »
We had the same scenario regarding the address, even though living in the property for over 4 years at the time.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
another twist to sgk?
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 11:20:21 AM »
We paid today at Vakif Bank in Fethiye, it was really easy, there touch screen ticket dispenser is colour coded. Press the yellow option and then give the clerk your kimlik number. Hey presto !

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »
We pay ours online with Teb bank. Easier still... I have had it with queuing at The banks.

Offline philrose

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2013, 06:09:06 AM »
Is there somewhere where you can get accurate up to date information on the SGK scheme? We currently have private insurance, but as there is so much conflicting information about the SGK scheme I can't work out if we would be better or worse off by joining...

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
another twist to sgk?
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 07:12:40 AM »
Phil, I'm not sure if there is, the guy who helped me fill in my forms and went along to the office with me is an official translator recommended by the British Consulate. He does these applications very regularly for Brits. Germans, Dutch etc. and told me the regulations about this scheme seem to be down to the SGK counter clerks interpretation. I had to write on my form that I did not have any private healthcare in my native country and sign accordingly. I guess that is the same as the UK where you can't be insured twice for the same thing.

Here is my understanding of the scheme, please understand that I'm certainly not an expert and if others correct any of the following then I will be delighted, but please only do so if you are absolutely certain of the facts, this way we may get a comprehensive understanding.

1, To apply to join SGK you need to have been resident for one year and you must join within the first 4 weeks of the first anniversary of your first years residency, failure to join in this time frame will incur a small fine and a requirement to pay back payments, I.e. if you apply after being resident for 18 months, you will have to pay a fine and six months back payment.

2 You do not have to join the SGK. you are allowed to Pay as yo go or have private insurance.

3. If you have filled in and signed the forms (as many did in the early days of the scheme to avoid the threat of a fine) then you are in the SGK scheme regardless whether you have paid any payments or not. If you haven't made any payments, you owe the money back to the date of your application.

4. Once you apply and have been accepted for SGK you are effectively locked in, the only conditions to exit the scheme are: you surrender or fail to renew residency. you become a Turkish Citizen, you marry and become dependent on a Turkish National, you die.

5, The cost of the scheme is 234.86 TL per month. This premium covers a family, married couple or single person. If you live together without being married you will both have to pay the monthly premium. To prove your marital status, you need to have your marriage certificate translated and notarised.

6, Cover. 100% of the cost of treatment carried out in a state hospital is covered by SGK. if you choose a private hospital (like Esnaf or Letton) the majority of the treatment cost will be met by SGK but you will be required to make a contribution. Emergency dentistry is included but not cosmetic procedures. I also understand that the cost of any medicines prescribed by a doctor are included in the scheme, can someone who uses SGK when obtaining medicine please clarify.

7, Pre existing medical conditions are covered under SGK.

Any further points, amendments and clarifications would be helpful.

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
Exactly as we understand it George - a really good summing up   :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 09:20:51 AM »
philrose, I currently have private insurance and last year the premium shot up by almost one third even though I have never made a claim and had the policy for more than 5 years.

Friends of mine private insurance premium with a different insurer more than doubled to over 2000TL each. As a couple they decided it was more advantageous to pay into the SGK scheme plus it covers some dental and eye sight treatment as I understand it and plus prescription costs are covered.

It is possible with the loss of many private insurers to SGK that the insurance companies are seeking to recouping their losses.

I am paying 1000TL a year with a private scheme at the moment so I am just waiting to see what happens at renewal time this year but as each year passes I get a year older and as this is the criteria they allege determines the cost of a policy I expect to be joining SGK in the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:22:34 AM by nichola »

Offline janmack

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »
Re item 6 George...yes medicines prescribed by a doctor are included in the scheme.  I am on meds now and SGK is covering the costs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf