Author Topic: Cobra meeting  (Read 2630 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Cobra meeting
« on: March 12, 2020, 18:11:57 PM »
There's been a few occasions in my life that I've been scared about a tv announcement. I remember watching old black &white films where everyone was gathered around the radio to hear updates of war,thinking how frightening for them. My mom holding my hand watching the first moon landing,The Birmingham pub bombings with my older siblings being out in town, my daughter telephoning me hysterical over 9/11. This corona virus goes right up to the top of them. The Boris Johnson announcement that 80%+people are expect to get the virus. That it's 10/14 weeks until we reach the peak of this pandemic, so we are just to self isolate for 7 days should we show any symptoms continuous cough,and high temperature. The virus is doubling every 4 days so the 596 known cases will be almost 1200 by then. They also said the actual numbers of cases must be 4/5k. The delay strategy is so people don't get fed up and stop washing hands,etc so when the peak comes in about 4 weeks, we will be doing everything possible to contain it. We are about 4 weeks behind Italy in the way it's progressing.
As the peak of the epidemic gets closer I pray that a cure is found soon.
Berna x

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Cobra meeting
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 18:19:00 PM »

Offline Steve A

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 21:20:20 PM »
Cobra meetings have been held almost weekly since 911 so no news in having the meeting,it’s the way we govern and manage crises,whether it be terrorism,flooding,large world events that wil, have an impact on U.K. or health issues such as SARS,MERS or in this case COVID19.
In my humble view this is being blown up out of proportion by the media as there’s not much else in the news and has become self fulfilling but only time will tell.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 21:35:43 PM »
COBRA = Cabinet Office Briefing Room A

That's all it means.

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 14:38:03 PM »
Report today that number of new cases at epicentre of corona virus has dropped. Is the virus on the wane and media have overblown the situation?

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 15:34:04 PM »
I'm more concerned for my Mum than myself.
For most, it seems to be a flu like virus which our own antibodies are coping with.  It's the elderly with underlying health problems that have the most to fear.
I'm being extra vigilant re handwashing etc but not allowing the media to traumatise me

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 07:14:45 AM »
I have been explaining to my elderly mother what is happening without trying to panic her but making sure she is “aware”.

She is 94 in May and has previously had pneumonia twice (a long time ago) but this week she told me I have washed down with a weak bleach & disinfectant solution every work surface, door handle, and anywhere else I can think of where visitors might have touched. (She has lots of visits from children, grandchildren and great grandchildren).

On Thursday night I said - “have you seen the news and the latest statement from Boris” - she said “I have but I have now concluded that this is like the blitz in the Second World War” - (we still have the 3ft tail fin of a bomb that was dropped on her street that she keeps in the shed - as a souvenir!) - she continued with - “you don’t do stupid things to put yourself in harms way - but if your name is on that bomb - it will get you - so there is no point in worrying about it”.

“Oh and don’t worry if you can’t get hold of me in the morning - I am going to the hairdressers - I’ll go in a taxi - it’s booked and I’m going - it needs doing!”

There will never be another generation like that one!!!   :)

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 07:25:38 AM »
Love it Ian :D My dad will be 95 in June and every Saturday we go for breakfast. He still wants to go today. He is a D Day Veteran, lived and seen many things in his lifetime. He also had pneumonia as a child, asthma too but nothing is going to stop him from going out as it's what he looks forward to all week. At his age it's worrying but being almost 95 if he's happy then I won't argue with him  ;)

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 10:44:50 AM »
We arrived back at Gatwick after a month in Malta not knowing what to expect. The airport was very quiet at midday, we were straight thro immigration and customs and  on our way home in next to no time.

We have decided to carry on as usual, we don't have any underlying health problems and we are fitter than most of our age. We walk about 5 miles most days. We are lucky living on the coast, we walk from Rustington to Littlehampton have a coffee at the harbour lights cafe and walk back again.

We have cancelled a trip to Spain in June but hope we can get to Fethiye in November and Funchal in January.

Regards

DonM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf