Author Topic: Istanbul Mobilya  (Read 3009 times)

Offline AnneandTerry

Istanbul Mobilya
« on: May 19, 2004, 14:08:59 PM »
Back in February, I went shopping with a Turkish friend (to act as interpreter) and ordered, and paid for in full, dining room and lounge suites from Instanbul Mobiliya in Fethiye.   I requested that both suites should be stained the same colour and that the dining chairs be upholstered in the same fabric as the settees.   A delivery date of 30th April was agreed.

Before we arrived on 4th May, our friend had already reminded the shop owner that we were on our way and expecting the furniture.

However, for various reasons (see other posting re Hanel Houses) the furniture could not be delivered on 30th April, and it was in fact 11th May before the lounge furniture arrived.   When I asked about the dining suite, I was told it would arrive from Istanbul the next day and be delivered straight away.   So, the next day we waited in for it . . . and the next day . . . and the next.   On 15th May, I went back to the shop only to be told that they had had a break in the night before and that all their delivery people were being held under suspicion at the police station, but that the furniture would be delivered on the 17th.   I thought this excuse rather far-fetched even by Turkish standards, and it actually proved to be true, but of course the furniture should have been delivered at least 48 hours before the break-in!!   However, Hassan agreed to bring delivery forward to 5 p.m. on the 16th, as we were flying home on the 17th.

By the afternoon of the 17th, I had given up all hope of ever seeing the dining suite, so took myself off for some retail therapy.   On my return, I found a very anxious Terry saying:  "You're either going to love me or hate me!".   Apparently, 20 minutes after I had left the villa, the furniture had been delivered but was completely the wrong colour.   Terry had only seen photos of the furniture as I had been out on my own in February, the only thing he knew was that everything had to match, and it didn't.   So he had taken a photo before he had refused delivery, and was much relieved when I confirmed that he had done the right thing!!   Now, our much-suffering English friend has the task of inspecting it again when it is supposed to be re-delivered in three days time.

Moral of the story:  Never pay the full amount up front and don't expect anything to be delivered on time.   If it is, then it's a bonus.   I'm not saying that all furniture suppliers are the same - I can only speak from our experience.

Anne and Terry

Offline teresa321

Istanbul Mobilya
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 23:45:23 PM »
We have lost some things posted in the last couple of days but we did buy furniture from Istanbul Mobilya and it was delivered on time as requested.  I am only posting this to give our experience as I know a lot of people read the forum and it can make or break.  We used the shop on the Migros side near Kelebek but there is another one on the other side. I would also say that ours was straightforward and involved no colour changes etc.

Teresa

Offline AnneandTerry

Istanbul Mobilya
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 09:38:13 AM »
We must have been really unlucky then - I suspect maybe our paperwork went astray.   Have heard from our friend today and some of the outstanding furniture has arrived, but no sign of the dining chairs - presumably they are still being upholstered.

Anne

Offline teresa321

Istanbul Mobilya
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 11:47:38 AM »
The man we dealt with lived in Calis and that is where he made the furniture. The one thing I will say, after treking around looking for a sofa bed that was not like a brick to sit on - his prices were better than others. He was more expensive than the basic shops but cheaper than Kelebek. - Would you agree Anne?

It is possible that our good service was because we just purchased direct with no alterations or material changes.

Teresa

Offline AnneandTerry

Istanbul Mobilya
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 16:46:44 PM »
We paid almost £1,800 for dining table, six chairs, matching sideboard and display cabinet, 3-seater settee, 2-seater settee and 2 armchairs, which I thought was very reasonable as everything seemed very well made.   And, yes, I think you are probably right that our difficulties stemmed from the fact that I asked for matching upholstery and woodstain, together with a long delivery date.

One thing I will say - we have had some furniture delivered at home today and, although it was delivered on time, it wasn't even unpacked let alone installed as our Turkish furniture was.   Win some, lose some!

Anne

Anne and Terry

Offline AnneandTerry

Istanbul Mobilya
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 19:01:27 PM »
The saga continues - we have just heard from a friend that our brand new settees and armchairs haven't been put together properly and are coming apart. Not sure what to do as we are not back in Calis until September and we have friends using the house in the meantime.

Anne and Terry

Offline teresa321

Istanbul Mobilya
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 20:43:23 PM »
I have just got my receipt out Anne and there is no telephone or fax number on it. Do you use a property management agent who might register a complaint for you?

Teresa

Offline AnneandTerry

Istanbul Mobilya
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 23:20:28 PM »
We have a local English friend who is going to see them tomorrow.   Have suggested she take a Turkish friend as back up!!   Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Anne and Terry

Offline Partygirl

Istanbul Mobilya
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 15:44:08 PM »
Hi there

Just got back from Turkey after furnishing our house.  Our furniture turned up from istasnbul Mobilya.  Colour scheme correct. But had a few problems.  The suite was grubby and the wood varnished the wrong colour.  We got on to them.  The next day two ladies came to clean the suite and a mn was sent to re varnish the wood. All though there were problems they were sorted out pretty quickly.

Good luck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf