Author Topic: Chimney Sweep  (Read 2517 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Chimney Sweep
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 08:17:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by happyfeet

There are 'blocks' you can buy,that you put in the grate to clear the soot.Look for Baca Temiziyeci.Have seen them in Azda in Hisaronu,Migros may also have them.

What do you do with them ?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Chimney Sweep
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 08:20:59 AM »
Light the blocks.If the chimney is blocked it decorates the room in a sort of black colour.    :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Chimney Sweep
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking !

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Chimney Sweep
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »
They are logs that burn on the fire and help break up the deposits in the chimney, however, they are for log burning fires and also are only advised as an aid to make mechanical chimney sweeping easier.    So basically, they are a waste of time.  
Go to http://www.fluesystems.com/sundries/info/cleaning_log.htm  then click into the F.A.Q.'s to see how useful they are.  After reading about them we did not bother, however, our chimney is no problem to sweep.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:14:14 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Chimney Sweep
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
The method employed in the slums of post-war Birmingham was to build up a roaring fire,throw a load of salt on then hold a wet sack over the fire opening.The chimney would catch fire,darkness would descend on the neighbourhood,and also on the hearth and surrounding lino.the chimney fire would eventually burn out,the panic would subside,and after a good clean up that would be that for two or three years.Forget carbon footprints,some had'nt got shoes.   :)When we were moved from the slums to a council estate some kept the coal in the baths and during the first harsh winter they were burning the internal doors to keep warm.my mates dad kept his horse in the kitchen on very cold nights.  :)

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Chimney Sweep
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 16:41:43 PM »
i think the blocks happy feet is talking about are packs of crytals that you chuck the whole pack on the fire and it attacks the soot somehow...you use one pack per metre of chimney and the packs should only cost you 1tl each.(last years prices) i get mine from a little hardware shop close to the fish market.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf