Author Topic: Burglary stories  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Burglary stories
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 00:26:32 AM »
I think it may be a useful thing to do.  I have no idea if the local law enforcement IS incompetent.  But we all hope the burglaries diminish and if this did any good then I'm all for it.

Offline welshbrickie

Burglary stories
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 16:51:12 PM »
wouldnt mind if they printed about crime so long as they mentioned how efficent the police are and the quick response they have shown, i can only speak from what I have seen as a fully proffesional job they do.

Offline ella

Burglary stories
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 08:08:22 AM »
Do you mind me asking how often you have had to deal with the Police here welshbrickie? They are certainly not well known for their efficiency or professionalism unfortunately.

Offline Steve A

Burglary stories
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »
I was the victim of an attempt burglary to my villa last night,I havent even bothered the police as I know from experience that there is very little they can do.As far as Burglaries go in the Fethiye area can I put it into perspective;I live in a town in the North East of England with app twice as many residents as Fethiye and over the past 2 years have averaged around 52 burglaries per calendar month and clear up(detect)around 40% of those.I dont know the exact figures for Fethiye however on what Iam reading they are comparitively low and appear to have the same contributing factors as at home ie poor security,unoccupied properties with little or no deterrent.Your average burglar will not enter an occupied house,will always choose the easy option and have an escape roite planned before hand.Very rarely is excessive damage caused,in most cases they are on foot looking for small saleable items that can be put in pockets(opportunist) or in some cases they have a vehicle waiting to take larger goods for which they already have an outlet(organised).Exceptionally rarely will they confront or attack a householder(these are a different type of criminal and their intent may be different)I mention these things by way of trying to put peoples minds at rest.By the way I have had a lot to do with burglars/burglaries over the years having headed up several CID Burglary squads in North East and London,Crime teams and being a Detective Inspector responsible for the town that I live in in the past.

Offline welshbrickie

Burglary stories
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 17:37:04 PM »
3 seperate times I have seen police in action,the first time they responded in 5 minutes caught the guy within half an hour.
2nd time was the police bike who happened to pass the complex where we live as they saw a window wide open and we were suprised to see them walking round the complex with torches checking,but the apartment was unoccupied and the windows always left open.
the 3rd time was when a burglary happened they responded in 10 min with 4 officers 2 which were detectives within half an hour scenes of crime took fingerprints and statments.
have you had to call the police in the uk???As far as I am concerned no way would you ever get that reponse time or take the care to check an open window,even taking statments is too much trouble. Oh by the way the lad they caught got 7 years I think.
Steve A, im sorry 2 say the justice system sucks in the uk, and at least they put them in prison here even for small offences.

Offline peecee

Burglary stories
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
Welshbrickie, I agree with you the response time here is much quicker but please don't forget that, in effect, there is a 'free' police force here called the Jandarma.  All the lads are conscripted in for, I believe, 18 months, and are paid something like 12 tl a month.
In the UK all the forces are now having to face budget cuts, Cambridgeshire alone will have a 30% budget cut this year.  It's a big County and could barely cover the area with the resources they had.  Not a chance in hell now.

And if the Police do manage to catch someone they then have to contend with the CPS who, truth be known, work with figures.  Is it worth prosecuting the little scroat who has, allegedly,  burgled 50 houses, sells £10 of cocaine every day etc. or do they go for the 'big one'?  It all comes down to money, convictions and looking good in the publics' eye.

Don't blame the Police, blame the Government.  They're the ones who screwed everything up!!

Offline Steve A

Burglary stories
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 12:02:06 PM »
Dont really get involved in discussions about how good or bad the Police anywhere are as ever you will all have good and bad stories to tell.I can only speak from experience and rather than the whys and wherefors of the CJ system I rather try and give some honest advice/opinion.Also I would like to say that despite the failings we are still regarded widely as one of the best systems in the world that would be down to the dedicated men & women in the office of constable who in my experience see their role as a vocation and give a lot more than they get and are actually creditted for in the public eye.

Offline welshbrickie

Burglary stories
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 16:33:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Steve A

Dont really get involved in discussions about how good or bad the Police anywhere are as ever you will all have good and bad stories to tell.I can only speak from experience and rather than the whys and wherefors of the CJ system I rather try and give some honest advice/opinion.Also I would like to say that despite the failings we are still regarded widely as one of the best systems in the world that would be down to the dedicated men & women in the office of constable who in my experience see their role as a vocation and give a lot more than they get and are actually creditted for in the public eye.

Offline welshbrickie

Burglary stories
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 16:38:24 PM »
oops clicked it wrong
anyway I would just like to say,Im sure the uk police do a good job,Its easy for me to sit here and criticise the police force,But I can only speak from the experience I have had with the turkish police here, and the uk,No offence intended.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Burglary stories
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 16:44:06 PM »
How can they ever know the extent of burglary in Fethiye if people don't report it? This time it was a failed attempt, but surely you owe it to others to report it so they can patrol the area and be aware of what's going on? When we were burgled the Jandarma were very quick, went off in hot pursuit to see if they could catch them, then had to go off to a shooting ( ! ) then came back and did fingerprints. They took hours taking notes and taking it seriously and even called back the next day to make sure we were ok. Not sure that would happen in the UK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf