Author Topic: Cheapest way to buy?  (Read 6121 times)

Offline WendyA

Cheapest way to buy?
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
I hope to come to Calis for my Tapu in 3 weeks.  I then have 3 days to furnish as much as I can!  The forum seems to say that the agent should give us some help, but, since saying I wanted to buy the villa, she (Ozlem from Adres Emlak) has not contacted me or responded to my emails ( seems good value for her 3%!). Scunner, you seem to be saying that she should help me with furniture buying, etc? What support can I realistically expect?  Her English isn't very good, but she did say they had someone else ( not around at the time) who could speak it  better. Should I be getting their support now and after the sale?  Is that realistic?

Anyway, I digress.  Sorry, my real question is, when I go to buy, what is the cheapest way to purchase - Lira, sterling?  Can I get 'best price' with a debit card, or should I have cash with me?  what about a UK credit card?

Any help gratefully received?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:25:25 AM by WendyA »

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Cheapest way to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
No agent SHOULD or have to help furnish you property, many do it as a gesture of good will and customer service, some give this service as they also get a 'fee' from the shop.
If no luck from the agent you purchased from there are people out there who give this service, they are not cheap and also get a 'bonus fee' from the shop.
There may be a member of the forum who has time on their hands and likes shopping who will do this out of friendship, I did when I lived there, so I can't be the only one who LOVES shopping.

Offline screamlead

Cheapest way to buy?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:05 AM »
Theres also those out there who rip off buyers to  the tune of double what it costs.
Best to find someone who speaks good turkish and take lira cash, they will barter too.
But if you buy washing machines and dish washers they insist on plumbing them in by telling you your warranty is invalid if they dont????
Dont just buy from the first place - shop around you will get better deals.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Cheapest way to buy?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »
We used to get furniture shop managers and owners calling in regularly - offering anything up to 20% commission on all sales made to our customers. Many agents deny that but I can tell you it is 100% true. I preferred to get the 'real' price for my customers and not have them stump up another 20% for me but I know many who happily make on every purchase their customers make - and property management companies are probably the worst!

Sitting around for 2 hours while customers choose between the blue settee and the cream settee is possibly the dullest part of my time in Turkey but it's a necessary job. If you can take someone you know and trust who enjoys furniture shopping that might well be the best option. Starting point should always be Eren Spot - if he sells it and you like it, you'll be hard pushed to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Offline sunnyd

Cheapest way to buy?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:18:56 AM »
I'd say go to Eren spot too. He has everything.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Cheapest way to buy?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
We got taken, six years ago, by our agent to Eren Spot and then to the million shop for all the cutlery, crockery etc., It was all put on one lorry and delivered to the house the same day (with us in the cab with the driver).  Eren Spot is great for white goods, garden furniture etc., and if you are going to rent out your place (as we thought we were) their furniture is fine, but if you are going to use the place yourself would suggest you look at other furniture shops for suites etc., as the sofas in Eren Spot are very hard.  There is a shop opposite Eren Spot which is on the corner just passed the pet shop. It's really big inside, three floors. We bought some wardrobes there in May.  We negotiated the price down quite a bit and they delivered free the next day.  There are three floors of furniture and white goods.  Also Migros and Kipa have a good range of T.V.'s.
Just a tip which we have found so useful.  We did a map on the computer of our place and printed it out on A4 paper with all the Turkish names of roads and arrows leading to our house. I cannot tell you what a great help it has been when we want a delivery.  We always print out a few of these each time we go out to Turkey and I always have one in my bag, even useful for taxi drivers. ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:26:23 AM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Cheapest way to buy?
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »
Agree Eren Spot, great customer service, everytime.

Offline simpsons

Cheapest way to buy?
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by loz

Agree Eren Spot, great customer service, everytime.

I totally agree. We bought all our white goods and electrical products from Erin Spot 3 years ago. The service was excellent, and we have never had any trouble with what we bought. Well worth a visit.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Cheapest way to buy?
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »
Eren spot seems to be the place most head for. He is very good and super fast delivery. When we furnished our place we got it from Eren. We had a few things to do in Fethiye and by the time we got to the villa his lorry was there waiting for us.

One of his delivery men lifted the washing machine on his back from the lorry to the upstairs bathroom.he unpacked it and found it was damaged and he repacked and took it down stairs on his back. He came back an hour later with a replacement and again repeated the exercise of carrying it upsatirs.

None of this we will deliver in 6 weeks time like you get from a number of the big retailers in the UK.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Cheapest way to buy?
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 13:57:44 PM »
Have to say that was the most enjoyable part of the process for me! I loved the buying bit! Some helpful member and I cant remember who provided a list of essentials and i used that as a guide. I remember being stuck on a very hot train one day and using the time to mentally go through our palatial( hmmm) apartment and list everything we needed to buy from furnature to hairdryers! We then spent a few days wandering around fethiye and the 2 best places were the million shop and eren spot!
We brought a few bits over from home but everything you need is available! its probably a daunting prospect if its a big villa or apartment and you need everything but I would love that job!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf