Author Topic: Cockroaches  (Read 5868 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Cockroaches
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
If you have a septic tank it's not wise to use too much bleach as it kills the bacteria in the tank and then it will not work properly.  So only moderate amounts of bleach.  We have had a septic tank in our place in Scotland now for over 25 years and are careful how much strong chemicals we put down into the drains.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:26:27 AM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline julesbob0303

Cockroaches
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by kizkucuk

You will get cockraoches anywhere warm and moist.  There are all sorts of sprays,  Make sure there is no food left out and bleach down all the drain holes in the bathroom etc.........  I've only ever had one in my apartment and I was terrified - they are really strong - I ended up hitting it over the head with a mop until it was stunned and then tossing it over the balcony - you are very brave if I had been faced with 300 I would have booked into a hotel and put the apartment on the market  :-)

That's exactly how I felt!!!   :o  I love our little place in the sun, but arriving with our two teenagers, plus a friend's 19 year old (who has never been to the area before!) and finding our house covered in dying or dead cockroaches was horrendous.  I tried to put on a brave face, as did hubby, who's also not too keen on them!  (He was fine, till he saw one half way up the curtain, so sprayed Raid at it, and it flew at his face!   :o:([^]  He looked as mortified as I felt! )

We really have to get this problem sorted - I can't face this every time we come over.  I'm more concerned that we appear to be the only ones on the complex with the problem.  We never leave food in the apartment when we come home (apart from the usual coffee, teabags, etc).  We used to have lots of tiny dead flies around the sliding french doors but none this time as the cockroaches had obviously eaten them all - an even more disgusting thought!  [|)]

(I've spent all morning looking for remedies on the internet - will take a suitcase of killer stuff with us on our next visit!  :D )
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:47:02 AM by julesbob0303 »

Offline jackstee

Cockroaches
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 12:26:38 PM »
Don't bring any sprays in your suitcase. They may expload in the baggage hold.

You can get almost everything here

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Cockroaches
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 15:19:07 PM »
Jackstee, no they won't!! :D Any aerosol products in containers larger tha 100 mg. MUST go in the hold luggage, (unless it is bought in Duty Free area, after going thru the security check), all other aerosols, liquids, gels etc. can be carried in hand luggage, in a 20cm by 20cm see-through, sealed plastic bag, which Must be produced for seperate screening. this is from BAMA web-site.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 15:25:16 PM by GordonA »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Cockroaches
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 15:20:53 PM »
Don't try the old nuclear bomb either, they survive those!

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Cockroaches
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 15:25:52 PM »
Also have you got mozzie doors Julie? Just that one night we were having a few drinks and also using the pool, we were in and out and I do admit kept leaving the mozzie door open, I got up at 5am to go to the bathroom and there was a big cock roache in our corridor, I could not kill it and could not wake hubby up so put a glass over it to stop it wandering anywhere!It must have sneaked in whilst the door was open, also another night we were sat on the balcony it was quite dark but we suddenly noticed some scuttling movements on inspection there were about five or six had joined us on the balcony, I only ever saw one outside during the day it always seemed to be when it was dark :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Cockroaches
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 15:28:23 PM »
We thought about getting a cat flap but never a mosquito door! The keys must be tiny :D

Offline julesbob0303

Cockroaches
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 16:14:49 PM »
No mozzie doors or cat flaps on our apartment, unfortunately!  :D:D:D

The cockroaches are only an issue when we aren't there (I obviously need to live in my apartment permanently to keep them at bay   :) 8) :) )

Have only seen the odd one or two (in four years) around the pool area.  We think they are coming up the toilets when the water is switched off, and the loos have dried up from the heat.  I keep picturing loads of them stuck - hopefully all dead! - down the toilet, unable to get out because of the cling film!!!!  Eurrrgh, what a thought  :o :o :o

Offline jackstee

Cockroaches
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 17:09:55 PM »
Gord, I do agree with what you say about packageing into your suitcase but I disagree that its a good Idea. A lot of the holds are not pressurised. And a lot of the spray cans are made in countries with very little quality control.

There is even restrictions on the little cylinders of gas used for life jackets. And they are very strong compared with spray cans.

I just don't think its worth the chance.

Keith, it's true but only partly. I spent 7 years on a nuclear boat. At the end of a refit we normally had a few, but then you just bomb them and shut the hatches.

Offline kizkucuk

Cockroaches
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 20:19:57 PM »
That's the answer then - if they are only coming in when you are not there - you need to move here permanently - it makes sense and cheaper than bringing 20kgs of bug spray with you when you come out  :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf