Author Topic: Expat Private Health Insurance  (Read 4461 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Expat Private Health Insurance
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 17:29:51 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by usedbustickets

I understand the point about age, but at this price in comparison to your son, the loading for Ian is still 25 times your son's package, which still looks very steep to me.  And when you compare it to travel insurance for a month, that includes extensive medical cover, you can get cover at age 60 for considerably less than £300 per month, which again makes this service look ridiculously expensive.

At £300 per couple I assume that's £150 each per month. Therefore it's 5 times what my 28 year old son pays.

Not far out in my recknoning from my days as a Financial Consultant.

Health Insurance is very expensive as you get older.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 17:42:29 PM »
Stoop thanks for the correction on my calculation - what a numtee I am ;).  Although I still think it still looks expensive at 5 times the amount of your son's premium, and as an absolute figure of £150 a month.  I understand that medical insurance is expensive.  There is, however, a difference between being expensive, and being extortionate.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 21:51:14 PM »
Stoop, I would agree with your assessment that in comparison with a person in their mid 20s that is what the premium is likely to be.

A comparison of premiums between travel insurance and PHI cannot really be made as they are two different products. To start with it is the time cover as travel insurance is generally a very limited period as PHI is yearly. The probability that a travel insurance company would be caught to cover the cost of any longterm illnesses like cancer would be near to zero.By the time the condition has been investigated the travel insurance will have expired. Insurance policies are in a way gambling. The bet is on probability and the older you are the more probable it is that you are going to get ill. Some banks give free travel insurance with current accounts as the profit generated from the extra business will more than cover the amounts to be paid out.There will always be the exception. When I worked in a financial institution the biggest pay out was nearly £100k. Most other claims were less than £200. The smallest claim was less than a quid. It must have cost more to report it.

Offline Eric

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 22:02:40 PM »
Quote from them this evening for the 2 of us.

Staysure Private Medical Quote Request

Thank you for your interest in products and services from Staysure.co.uk

Please find enclosed the insurance quote you kindly requested.

We hope that everything is to your satisfaction but should you have any queries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Product & Plan                 
Axa PPP International Comprehensive Policy                  £387.72    
Aviva International Solutions - Core Cover                  £300.60    

I am sure that you will agree Staysure's prices represent excellent value and include some fantastic benefits.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 22:03:40 PM »
Just to add (I have been out all evening!) - they also had a slightly cheaper option through Axa (only £750k cover as opposed to £5m) and this was £100 for Gill (aged 50) and £160 ish for me (aged 60 - I know you wouldn't believe it would you)

At £100 for a 50 yr old it compares quite closely (10% dearer) to BUPA

Ian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf