Author Topic: England-v-India  (Read 953 times)

Offline Maz

England-v-India
« on: July 21, 2006, 22:07:50 PM »
Hi - I've read with interest all the "racist topics" recently posted so thought I would give my twopennyworth - not to incite the subject but to give a different point of view.  I'm white English, my parnter - Prav - is of Indian origin - he was born in Kenya after Idi Amin made his parents flee from Uganda, where, incidentally, they were quite well off people.  I've known Prav for 9 years and we've now been together nearly 2 - like all relationships, it's definitely live and learn - and not because of creeds.  I was born of the generation where immigration, although benefitting the country as a whole cos there were jobs no-one wanted to do,  so accepted it.  Since meeting Prav, my perceptions have vastly changed.  My family (and this includes a lot of elderly folk who thought "black and white" didn't mix now totally love him - the best example is that my 2 newphews (who are 3 and 5) love him to bits - he's "Uncle Prav" - they have no preconceptions about him.  Due to his upbringing, he'd also put himself out for anyone.  However, it wasn't til I met him that I realised that Seiks hated Hindus, who totally loathed Muslims ...  It's the oldest story in the book - everyone, whether through religion or politics, has some historical angst to bear.  EVERYONE has some "racist" intentions.  Prav, like me, totally disagrees with the influx of "freeloaders" who seem to think the UK is a haven for all.  This includes all the "born and bred UK white folk" who never had and never intend to work - seems to us in the Boro that "apprenticeships" now mean "following your parents example, don't work, have as many kids as you like and let them intimidate others, make sure Social pays for your drink and drugs".  Everyone has prejudices - I remember at school that those who wore glasses were called "specky", those who had zits were called "spotty" - the point being, we're all different and that's what you should judge people by.  I honestly don't care what your skin colour is, what religion you are -just don't take the p*ss and come into a country where our hard working OAPs (probably not a PC word now) have paid their dues - and that's what life's about - I've never know yet a person who has had a "free ride".  Sorry if this upsets you but as my dear old Dad used to say to me when I was 17 - don't go out unless you have the taxi firm home.  No-one I know would ever begrudge a genuine person who was in trouble - whatever their creed/colour ot were willing to contribute to "our" country.  Now off my soapbox - hope I haven't offended anyone but sometimes, the "PC" people out there end up offending people (when it suits him, Prav is "Indian" - then again, when it suits him he's got a British Passport - and he's never ashamed to play either card!).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf