Author Topic: Great Live Bands  (Read 7461 times)

Offline valleyboy

Great Live Bands
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 21:20:22 PM »
Roxy Music in the Cardiff Capitol theatre in 1973, now long gone !, an intimate concert with that small theatre feel, which helped form an impressionable 14 year old's musical tastes for the rest of his life !!.

At that time they were innovative, different and refreshing, with the likes of Brian Eno stood in front of his Moog synthesiser and tape spools dressed like something from the planet "Zog", and "Byron Ferrari" with his different vocals and total "front man" charisma, Andy Mackay's blistering sax and oboe solo's, all went to provide a truly unforgettable experience.

Far outshone some of the Arena concerts by much bigger "Super groups" that I have seen !.  8)

Not too much footage available from 1973 tour, but here's some flavour  from the "Whistle Test", (still live !!).

http://youtu.be/zVeEBMJt8vs
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 21:28:08 PM by valleyboy »

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Great Live Bands
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 22:10:30 PM »
Love it' but why the hell do they mime? Great musicians and Brian is brilliant live

Offline tonyb

Great Live Bands
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »
Rolling Stones on the Bridges to Babylon Tour -in the port at Malaga 94,000- unbelievable + Queen supporting Mott The Hoople at the Birmingham Top Rank (now there's a blast from the past)1971 or 72 on the release of their 1st album, you could see Mercury had charisma even then.2 bands that have stood the test of time, sadly,for Queen, I think most of their creativity went with the passing of Mercury, but they did enrol one of the greatest rock vocalists of all time in Paul Rodgers, if you ever get the chance to see him live, don't miss it.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
Great Live Bands
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
We saw Queen at Wembley stadium in 1986 along with 72.000 others and when I play the DVD of the concert you realise just how great they were,and I don't think they will ever be equalled. One regret of mine - not seeing the Stones live :(

Badger  :)

Offline marina

Great Live Bands
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »
Just the opposite Badger, I saw the Stones back in 1966!!  :o when I was all of 14 years old and I can still remember how brilliant they were and see Mick Jagger prancing around the stage!

My big regret is not seeing Queen play live before the great showman Freddie Mercury died.

Offline tonyb

Great Live Bands
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 14:18:58 PM »
I went to the Freddie Mercury Memorial concert at Wembley in 1992 & when I think of Seal singing "Who wants to live forever" the hairs on the back of my neck still stand up.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
Great Live Bands
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 14:27:55 PM »
I would have loved to have seen Queen but I think my biggest regret was never getting to see Barry White.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Great Live Bands
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 14:35:58 PM »
My two live regrets (I'm younger than you lot I think  ;) ) - not seeing The Clash and not seeing Big Country in their heyday  :) Best live - Simple Minds at Wembley Stadium, U2 at MK Bowl before they went totally irritating, Stiff Little Fingers at Friars in Aylesbury (but anywhere really - proper live band).

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Great Live Bands
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 15:17:35 PM »
I've only ever been to a concert once in my life. Medway & Maidstone Art College, 1971, Black Sabbath, Whitesnake, Hawkwind and a couple of other bands.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 15:20:58 PM by KKOB »

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
Great Live Bands
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 15:30:32 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by KKOB

I've only ever been to a concert once in my life. Medway & Maidstone Art College, 1971, Black Sabbath, Whitesnake, Hawkwind and a couple of other bands.

WOW What as line up !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf