Author Topic: Tom Paxton & Janis Ian  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Tom Paxton & Janis Ian
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »
Went to a concert by these two at the Colston Hall last night. Mostly they sang each other's songs together but with some solo turns. What a great night! I had seen Paxton a couple of times before (many, many years before) but it was a first for Ian. Her voice retains that pure, wistful quality of her youth. I hadn't realized what a great guitarist Ian is. After one virtuoso performance Paxton responded with his own painfully stumbling first learning steps in "My Christmas Guitar". Ian sang "Society's Child" which, curiously, I had not heard before. It is about a young white girl being bullied into not going out with a young black boy and being told to "keep to your own kind". She wrote it when she was 13 and it was a hit when she was 15. There was a degree of irony in this being sung in a venue named after Bristol's most famous slaver. She also sang her wonderful "At Seventeen" and Paxton sang his "Ramblin' Boy" ending by remembering Pete Seeger. One of the best evenings I have spent in ages. This was only the second gig of their tour and they are going to do seven more around Englan and in Glasgow before the end of the month.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Tom Paxton & Janis Ian
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
Was Paxton still wearing that hat?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »
I assumed it was his.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 14:11:53 PM »
Saw Janis Ian about 15 years ago with my eldest daughter who was then about 18 and I was trying to give her something else other than Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran to appreciate!

We both really enjoyed it immensely and she remains a fan still today.

I remember her telling the story of why she wrote "At Seventeen" to do with her being a bit of a wallflower at school and never getting a boy asking her to go to the prom or a dance and it was very touching and honest of her.

A lovely relaxed performer who seemed  very comfortable in her skin.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf