Author Topic: Please sign this petition to highlight our disapproval and get this razor wire taken down!  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Bluwise

I agree that such extremes as razor-wire are unacceptable and can appreciate the concern for pets and more importantly people / children however, I also completely understand Kenkay's anger and frustration at other people's pets using his garden as a toilet. 
I don't hate animals but I do detest cats coming to poo in my garden and will frighten them away with whatever comes to hand at the time like a hosepipe or a well aimed tennis ball!  We want our grandkids to play safely in our garden and not have to look out for disgusting mess left by someone else's pet.  As I said, I don't hate animals but I do not like cats for this reason. 

On the subject of animal petitions - whilst I disapprove of cruelty in any shape or form, I'm not so fired up I want to join the crusade on this occasion without knowing more.  Maybe the person involved has reached desperation point - What would I do if the safety of my grandkids was at stake or all my hard work and expense was being ruined by animals - pets or otherwise. I don't know?

Offline Karen Kaya

Signed and shared.

Offline peter16

I'm sorry for the injuries suffered by various animals, birds etc. but I have to wholeheartedly agree with Bluwise's post. People want these animals as pets, they should also think of the problems they cause their neighbours.

Offline Sus

Still trying to read somewhere just why this man has this wire round his property, I love animals, but I do hate cats coming into my garden and using it as a loo,  I know you cannot stop a cat from roaming, but I do think that cat owners should think about what the neighbour thinks regarding them having them in their gardens.

Plus Cat Poo and Urine is dangerous to children and adults.

Offline apollo

Most of the cats in the area are feral cats and they will roam and do what ever they want to. We try and discourage them, with limited success, with a water pistol.

We have been adopted by 3 cats, we have had them neutered, and we give them some food twice a day. They do not come into the house and when we are away they have to look after themselves.

We also give the odd scraps , along with some of our Turkish neighbours, to half a dozen bin cats.Some have the bin cats have been neutered some have not.

Yesterday, we discovered a cat with seven kittens in our wood pile. When they are a few weeks older we will try and catch them and take them to the animal sanctuary and let them sort the problem.

None of these cats are ours but we do what we can. Are we selfish so and so's who allow cats to crap in other peoples gardens or do we let them all starve? Or, do we leave  people alone to, by whatever means they can, and prevent strays from using their gardens as a toilet?

Offline slartibartfast

One flavour of kind acts does not "trump" other selfish acts.

I don't see how feeding stray cats (and adding to the problems of more cats defecating in gardens) makes it right to "invest in" your own razor wire which is only there to damage anything it touches 

This post was asking for help removing razor wire.   You would like to install some of your own so it seems clear where you are on the subject.

What I find really hard to belive is someone who is kind enough to feed stray cats would not be completely guilt ridden if their own "stray cats" or anyoneone elses animal was  badly injured on their own new razor wire.

Offline apollo

Given that we do not know the circumstances why this guy has decided to use razor wire. And that its use , as far as we know, is not illegal . It is difficult to condemn his actions out of hand.

We do not know how he was approached, the conversations involved or wether alternative systems were discussed, when he was asked to remove the razor wire.

For my part. In my first post I stated that I might consider its use but the stems of the palm fronds were also effective and conducive to wild life.

If you remove from your mind the evocative images of men and animals hanging from the wire as in The Great War.

A  strand  or two of this wire placed along the top of iron railings does two things.

1. It acts as a deterrent to any one who wants to clamber over the railings.
2. It allows animals to pass freely between the railings.

Offline grizabella

Was one of the first to sign this petition.I am a true cat lover in every sense of the word and not ashamed to admit it.My three personal cats are house cats and only get let out for a couple of hours in the morning if I am at home.The only reason for this is I get very anxious if they are out for any length of time in case they get injured or lost.I also feed 2 street cats who have both been neutered.In answer to the negative posts........I feel that anything that causes undue suffering to any animal should be made illegal,Turkey does have certain laws pertaining to the welfare of animals but seems to have difficulty putting them into practise........To those concerned who are concerned for their gardens? and grandchildren can I just remind them that children can easily fall into this wire and cause serious damage which can disfigure them for life.

Offline Libra

Street animals are a reality in this country. Everybody living here has to accept this. We try to solve this problem by feeding , catching and neutering them. This is a great effort and needs dedication. It will take time , but in the end pet lovers and pet haters will benefit from the results. If anybody does not want to be part of the solution , they just should not be part of the problem.

Soon a new animal protection law will pass and those harming animals will also face prison charges. Those who are for wires should start to think removing them. Just a friendly reminder.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf