Author Topic: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream  (Read 122692 times)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
Re: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream
« Reply #400 on: August 07, 2016, 18:45:36 PM »
To all my CBF eager readers out there, apologies for lack of update in this never-ending saga. My excuse is a) big exhibition that I'm getting my artwork ready for, and b) family arriving from Boston on Friday. Have to clear all my art junk from both studio and spare bedroom so they have space to sleep.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #401 on: August 07, 2016, 19:29:52 PM »
Will let you off but ......expect a double episode next week please.  Have a great time with your family.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #402 on: August 07, 2016, 19:53:28 PM »
Gosh Arty - get a wriggle on!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #403 on: August 07, 2016, 20:37:14 PM »

You've got your priorities right Arty, enjoy your visitors.     :)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #404 on: August 18, 2016, 13:37:48 PM »
BLOG 79   Tapu Troubles

Fast forward to August. Skip April – a bit of a disaster in more ways than one. Firstly the weather: we struck a rainy spell and surprisingly cold weather, so much so that we had to borrow blankets for night-time from our next door neighbour, a lovely Turkish woman, Nuray who has an ailing husband the same age as mine. When we see each other, usually when I’m passing her villa and she’s tending her garden, we exchange a few words – mainly it seems, about husbands and their various ailments. She and her husband have a very large garden and she told me they sold off part of it to Deska (‘Infinity’ at the time) to make enough of a plot for our villa. She thinks another villa could fit onto her land so she could make more money as land sells for a lot in this area.  She sounded me out as to whether we want to buy it to increase our plot size. Yes, I’d love that – if nothing more, to stop another villa being built on our border with her but when I hear the price she wants – nearly as much as we paid for our land complete with built villa – I think not. I hope she keeps the land price high - surely no-one else would want to buy?

The purpose of our visit, as explained innumerable times in innumerable emails to Deska, was to finalise payment after completion of snagging and get our Tapu. Great hope. Sweet S was unaccountably delayed in Istanbul and could not meet with us as promised. Surprise, surprise! Oh, and powercuts.  We had three outages for hours at a time. They say a change is as good as a holiday, so it was a change, but not much of a holiday.   

So here we are in the heat of August, and boy, is it hot! We’re here with G (our daughter) and her 11 year old twins. OH is ensconced in the air-conditioned lounge watching the UK or International news on the satellite TV while I spend much of my time ‘judging’ who comes first in the twins’ various games which are centred around the pool. I can never get it right, as they insist on being competitive but I’m always sure to offend one, even if I announce a draw. “Grandma, you weren’t watching properly: I was much better than him!” (or her – as the case may be).

Suddenly, OH opens the sliding glass door and announces that both air-con and TV have gone off.

Turns out there’s another power cut but upon further enquiry from surrounding villas, it appears to have affected us only.

Strange, but it could be a fuse and I don’t know how to fix it, so I phone L at Deska. Thankfully, she’s there but I detect an unusually diffident tone in her voice. She’s usually warm and friendly, and sympathetic to our building problems and delays. This time it’s different. After I’ve explained the problem, she says: “It’s because you haven’t paid your electricity bills  . . .”

It takes me a good minute to recover my breath:

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #405 on: August 25, 2016, 18:54:55 PM »
August 2012. Our villa in Koca Calis

BLOG 80 Plan of attack

Then I explode. True, we haven’t paid the bill which was extraordinarily high due to it being on a different rate scale: builders’ rate as opposed to the domestic rate. Until we receive our Tapu with the property in our name it remains, at least in theory and most probably in reality, the property of the builders and under these circumstances, they should pay the bill – especially as they have been using much of the electricity. Give us our Tapu, I say, and we will pay the bill even though it is at an unfair rate. At least future bills will then be more reasonable and we’ll be able to check that they’re genuine.

“That’s not my problem”, she says, “that’s something you really need to discuss with S or K” (the directors and owners of Deska). 

“I’ve been trying to do just that” I splutter, “as you know very well but they don’t seem to be available and actually here in Fethiye – at least when I try to make contact”.

“Well” she says, “they’re here now as they’re discussing a very big deal with some buyers from Saudi Arabia”.

My first thought, on hearing this, is that she’s intimating that we are small fry and of no consequence, but then I think: ha! I can make use of this tidbit of information.

“Are they both there right now?” I ask.

“Er, yes” she replies somewhat hesitantly, “but they’re both tied up as I said. It’s no good coming now – they won’t be able to see you.”

“That’s ok” I reply, my mind working overtime. “I’ll contact you again to make another appointment.”

L sounds relieved but she won’t be soon. My plan is to come over to their elegant offices overlooking the harbour, where no doubt they are both busily engaged in sweet-talking the big Saudi buyers or investors. (And I bet M is bringing them tray after tray of tea.) I’ll threaten to put a spoke in their wheels unless we get our Tapu. I don’t know exactly what I’ll do – won’t know that until I’m on their doorstep and can gauge the situation but I’ll work something out for sure, and it won’t be pretty.

I turn to OH; the room is getting hot quickly without the air-con and not being much of a reader (except for newspapers/political periodicals), a walker or a swimmer, there’s not much for him to do right now.

“OH, we have an urgent appointment with the directors of Deska – we’ve got to sort this out – and now! I’m phoning for a taxi – are you just about ready to go?”

Daughter is informed; she’s outside in the shade, working on her laptop and keeping an eye on the twins in the pool. No doubt she’ll be a better judge of their ‘competitions’ than their Grandma.

The taxi draws up and we’re on our way.

----------------------

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #406 on: August 25, 2016, 19:03:41 PM »
Go Arty!!!!!!

Offline sadler

« Reply #407 on: August 25, 2016, 20:08:42 PM »
Wow Arty. I cant imagine how stressed you must be. Deep breath and then go get them girl.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #408 on: August 25, 2016, 21:28:24 PM »

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #409 on: September 01, 2016, 13:32:25 PM »

August 2012. Deska Global’s offices in Fethiye

BLOG 81 Confrontation

OH is bewildered and asks “Why are we here?”

“To get the electricity turned back on.”

“But there’s a power cut – how can they fix it?”

“They will,” I say grimly as I march up the steps to the entrance of their glamorous office building (and he tries to keep up using his walking stick – since the op, he can’t stride along as he used to).

“Wait! “he cries, but I can’t wait – we must strike while the iron is hot.

“What are you going to do?” I can hear the alarm in his voice. At this point, I stop:
“Whatever I do or say, you mustn’t worry. Say nothing, or back me up – but please do not worry about me – or about anything!”  Unfortunately this seems to make him more alarmed.

“But –“

By now we’re in reception but at the moment, unusually, there’s no one manning the desk so we go up the few steps to the main offices, the offices of K, S, the new general manager, E, the sales and admin staff – and the boardroom. I can hear the odd telephone ringing and the murmur of voices behind closed doors.

“I want to see K RIGHT NOW! We have a big problem with our villa!” This I say in the loudest voice, verging on a shout. Magically all the doors open at once and an array of startled faces look out. Some I recognize.

C, S and K’s secretary rushes out, her face flushed.

“Please! You can’t come now! S and K are in conference!”

“WE ARE NOT GOING!” I shout, “NOT UNTIL OUR ELECTRICITY IS TURNED BACK ON! AND WE WANT OUR TAPU!”

She is trying to usher us to a small side room, but we are staying put. OH appears as shocked as she is. He did not expect this behaviour from his normally fairly sedate wife.

“Please, please. . .” she whispers “we have important clients here”

“Are these people really going to buy villas from you?” I practically yell.

At this point, K himself comes striding out of the boardroom. He is clearly angry.  C, the secretary beats a fast retreat back into her office, quickly closing her door.

K, red with anger: “You have not made an appointment. Please go! “   

By now, I’ve allowed myself to get really het up. I’ve had enough – enough of their pretension, enough of their prevarication, enough of the problems and niggles with the lack of completion – the fact that we made a needless visit a few months ago, enough of their lies.

“You’ve cut off our electricity. My husband is elderly and ill – my family and grandchildren are here – we can’t live without electricity!”

“You pay bill, we turn on electricity” he says.

At this point I explode with what can only be described as a howl. We are beyond the point of argument.

He glances nervously toward the boardroom where the door is now again firmly shut. I envisage M with tea-tray in hand, with his back to the door, as nervous as the rest of them.

“I’ll tell them all about you-” I hiss.

“Get out. Now. “ His expression is quite ugly and there is menace behind his words.

I’m a bit ashamed to admit it, but I have to confess I turn on the tears as I sink onto the marble floor – calculated – probably, but I let those tears of frustration flow. Poor OH is trying to comfort me, unsuccessfully.

“You’ve ruined our holiday!” I sob (loudly) “I’ll go in there” (indicating the boardroom) “and tell them all about you and how you treat your clients”.

It’s quite a scene. There am I sitting in the middle of the floor in floods of tears, just outside the surrounding offices with OH bending over me and K towering above us both.

“I’m not leaving until you turn on the electricity in our villa – we’ll stay all night if we have to -.” I sob, now genuinely pretty out of control.

I can see K is desperately trying to decide what to do. He glances toward the board room. I open my mouth to yell again.

------------------------

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf