Author Topic: Another break ın  (Read 12484 times)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Re: Another break ın
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 07:16:30 AM »
We've got one the same as George is talking about.
It's important to make sure you get one with battery back up too given the number if power cuts we get, and also at the neighbourhood watch meeting we were told they will cut electricity supply to stop alarms going off.
In our case our trip switch for the electric is in an unlockable box on the wall right by our front door.

It definitely makes you sleep better knowing the alarm will go off.

When John first fitted it we set it, went out, came back 6 hours later and it was going off, and a very sheepish dog quaking on the sofa.
John had checked that the cats wouldn't set it off, but hadnt allowed for the dog sneaking upstairs to eat the cat food.
Have had to relocate the sensors now.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »
We also have a wireless alarm.  They are available for as little as £15.00 in B.&.Q. and if you don't hang it on the wall, it can be put on a shelf etc.,   It does make a really loud noise, we always set it before we go to bed and also lock the living room door and the bedroom door, locking doors at night was advised years ago by the Estate Agent.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 13:32:15 PM »
There is a chap on Facebook called Mehmet who seems pretty clued up on burglar alarms and the like. I have asked him to come here and share his knowledge. He runs a business in the Fethiye area installing systems so it would be useful to hear what is available.

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 19:33:15 PM »
I managed to find a wireless motion detector alarm at Argos for £19.99 today, the window alarms were quite expensive I thought at £15, so will leave them till I get to Turkey. I shall certainly get all the windows and doors alarmed, and some door locks fitted, it will be like Fort Knox before I have finished !
Thanks for all your replies
 :-*

Offline WendyA

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 23:00:29 PM »

We also have a wireless alarm.  They are available for as little as £15.00 in B.&.Q. and if you don't hang it on the wall, it can be put on a shelf etc.,   It does make a really loud noise, we always set it before we go to bed and also lock the living room door and the bedroom door, locking doors at night was advised years ago by the Estate Agent.

I've got a wired in alarm, which I can part set at night, but I'd be reluctant to lock internal doors after being there in the June '12 earthquake(s). I have stopped double locking the front door now as I want to feel I could get out without difficulty if necessary, even if I obviously don't want anyone coming in without difficulty!  It's a dilemma...!

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 01:12:49 AM »
The advice from the Turkish Earthquake Rescue Team is not to get out in the event of an earthquake. Statistics show that you are more likely to be injured by flying glass and falling masonry. Stay inside, pick a strong point within your home, a downstairs loo for example which is a small room, has solid walls and little glass.

Arm your Alarm !

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 06:15:46 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YALE-HSA-6300-WIRELESS-WIREFREE-FAMILY-ALARM-SYSTEM-PART-ARM-/261276765602?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item3cd54f0da2

We purchased this system 5 years ago, it is easy to install has a back up battery, we then bought extra sensors for doors and windows and a remote for the side of the bed, well worth about £250 for peace of mind.
Mark

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »
Wendy, the earthquake was very scary I agree, but by the laws of average and statistics a big one is likely to happen once every 50 years and experts believe that was our big one....
The burglaries are happening on average every night, some nights 3 or 4 being done.
Get the alarm, and like was said already the earthquake advice is to stay indoors and crouch down under a table, or by something solid, like a washing machine, end of your bed etc.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
Also if you lock the bedroom door on the inside, leave the key in it if you feel safer.  Same if you have a livingroom door where the interior has a lot of windows and the  exterior leads into a hall with no windows.
I totally agree with Rimms, better to be safe at home when there are so many burglaries daily than to worry about an earthquake, when the last one was over a year ago.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »
If I was a stranger reading this and thinking about buying there I would be very put off by all this.. You could be forgiven for thinking about avoiding it like the plague... Things have certainly gone down hill if you feel like you have to lock yourself in the bedroom....has it got so bad??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf