Author Topic: Soma mine disaster  (Read 1678 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Soma mine disaster
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:40:40 AM »
The trial of fifty one defendants involved in the Soma mine disaster finished today with the sentencing phase.

The CEO got fifteen years, the general manager and deputy operations manager got twenty two and half years each and the operations manager got eighteen years and nine months.  Out of fifty one folks charged, fourteen were found guilty and given prison sentences, the remainder were acquitted.

The prosecution had asked for life sentences for the principals and when the sentences were announced there was a bit of a riot in the court apparently.

I reckon they're lucky these guys were convicted, there are so many deaths each year in Turkey due to a disregard for workers health and safety by so many employers and rarely do you see any case actually reach a court room.

More in the Sabah and HDN.

JF

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Soma mine disaster
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »
Result!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Soma mine disaster
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 07:50:24 AM »
It is.  The one good thing that came out of this tragedy is that the safety regulations in private mines have been increased to provide better protection for those working underground and, allegedly, they are being closely monitored with the threat of harsh penalties for those who break them. 

The cynic in me feels that the financial cost met by the government ($8,000,000) and associated bad (international) publicity relating the workers conditions at the Soma mine may have driven these changes more than the concern for the workers.

Lets hope it doesn't take another Soma type incident to do the same for those involved in the construction industry, a sector where the health and safety of workers is way down the list behind profits and speed of construction. 

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf