Author Topic: What has happened to Vals bar?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
What has happened to Vals bar?
« on: October 25, 2014, 17:34:28 PM »
Went to Vals bar today to change some books and it does not appear to be there any more. I know it's part of the damaged buildings but it was raining very hard so could not hang around to ask questions. Any news would be most welcome.

DonM

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Re: What has happened to Vals bar?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 18:24:30 PM »
last i heard she gave it up.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »
Last we heard was: and this was a few months ago when I was there:
The person who owned the property and the apartment where Val lived, died. The surviving relatives then turfed Val out of the bar and apartment.

One of the lads from the Boys bar was running around trying to find somewhere for Val to go.

Second week of Ramadan I think.

Offline mickinblack

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
That's right jacks tee. I was there when it happened & Val told me herself. Val also has an apartment at Cetin pension. You can find her at Kismet some mornings.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 17:41:52 PM »
What a terrible shame.... She has been there as long as I remember,, She will be missed by a lot of people.

Offline kismetbar

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 06:58:41 AM »
To put you all in the picture. When Val opened her bar 20 odd years ago for reasons private to her the bar was put in her landlords name. Val ran the bar from then on and paid all her bills and this March paid her licenses as she has done  each and every year. Unfortunately her landlord died a few weeks later and as Turkish law requires the licenses to be in the owners name, Val was given no choice but to pay for the licenses again and have them put into her name which is very expensive,especially when she had paid them just weeks earlier. Due to the uncertainty of what is happening to the buildings opposite the square,which no one knows yet what is happening and when,  Val decided to not  to renew them. She wasn't turfed out of her bar and it was entirely her own decision to put things on hold. The bar is still hers, she is still paying the rent for it,and if she decided to pay for the licenses to be amended then she could operate again. Val wasn't turfed out of her apartment and has never been homeless as some people have suggested...she lives most of the time in her other home and has for years . The apartment above the bar was wanted by a relative and Val was given notice to quit in the normal way. Dont write her off...I half expect her to open up in the near future. Hope this clarifies things    Regards Ian

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 08:49:57 AM »
Thanks for that Ian.

Val had a lot of useful equipment for the disabled I hope it will still be available somewhere.

Don

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
You could still walk to Rhodes when Val first started! She did a fine innings and was always willing to share her extensive local knowledge. As Ian says, she'll probably be back  :)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 14:38:43 PM »
Remember when Val first got the bar, she is a lovely lady and has been through lots of ups and downs in life, but has always been willing to help others, We wish her well in what ever she decides to do.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:37:47 AM »
Noted and pleased that it was what we were told.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf