Author Topic: Turkish holidays  (Read 5172 times)

Offline Steve A

Re: Turkish holidays
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 09:02:35 AM »
Blueclad ,we pay more from Newcastle.This year in September they are £750 per couple !

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
That's expensive Steve  >:(
Mike Ashley must have a cut in them  8)

Offline PaulJ

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 09:47:38 AM »
As we haven't been to Turkey before, I hadn't realised that flight prices were a particular issue.  We went into our local travel agent (one we've used for the past 15+ years) and she found us a great 10 night flights, transfers and B&B package in Calis in October for £500 each.  This is using Jet2 from Stansted (just a few miles down the road from where we live). It was pretty reasonable deal compared with other holidays we'd considered.

Before looking at holiday options, the concern I had was the nosedive £Sterling is taking against major currencies as a result of fears of a no-deal Brexit. That said, this impacts all destinations as it's a currency exchange issue.  However, the TL isn't a major currency and yet the base exchange rate has dropped from 7.3 lira to the £ to 6.72 in the month from 30 June to 30 July (that's a drop in the value of the £ against the TL of 7.95%). By comparison, there's been a 3.93% drop for the £ against the US$ and 2.68% drop against the Euro in the same period (both of which are bad enough).

I remember reading somewhere that Sterling is often accepted in Turkey.  I wonder if that'll still be the case for much longer...

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 09:59:28 AM »
A few years ago, when the exchange rate was in the region of 2.75TL / £, the preferred currencies in Turkey were the £, USD, or Euro, rather than the TL. It was said that in the construction and estate agency sectors there were more £50 notes in circulation in Turkey than in the UK.

You'll find that most traders in the markets in and around Fethiye will accept your £s. I can see Turks being happy to accept £s for many years to come.

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »
the big problem is Reg it seems to fluctuate when he opens his mouth

Offline PaulJ

• Newly Registered
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 10:54:40 AM »
A few years ago, when the exchange rate was in the region of 2.75TL / £, the preferred currencies in Turkey were the £, USD, or Euro, rather than the TL. It was said that in the construction and estate agency sectors there were more £50 notes in circulation in Turkey than in the UK.

You'll find that most traders in the markets in and around Fethiye will accept your £s. I can see Turks being happy to accept £s for many years to come.
What's a £50 note......?   ;)

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 11:12:15 AM »
Paul
We paid around the cost of your holiday for our June visit so you have done ok   :)
Like you we are close to Stansted and You should have a great trip with Jet2.
The TL does fluccullate but you always seem to get value for money - enjoy  8)

Offline Christie

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 14:18:21 PM »
I would be more worried about the yellow sea than the tl,

Offline PaulJ

• Newly Registered
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 15:31:12 PM »
I would be more worried about the yellow sea than the tl,
If either my wife or I were sun-worshippers or beach-goers, so would I. However, we're very unlikely to even get our feet wet as Calis will simply be a base from which to explore the history, culture and geography of the area and a feed / drink station - at least this time round.  If we head back to Turkey a second time, we might bring the scuba gear with us   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf