Author Topic: Theo Walcott signs new long-term Arsenal contract  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Theo Walcott signs new long-term Arsenal contract
« on: January 18, 2013, 22:50:56 PM »
Actually I couldn't give a s**t, I'm testing something :D

Here's the story though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21078962

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Re: Theo Walcott signs new long-term Arsenal contract
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 23:08:07 PM »
I like Walcott - always comes over as a nice guy - but call me cynical - how is it footballers play out of their skins just before a contract negotiation?????

The first one I remember was Joe Jordan - bought from Leeds Utd in the days when I actually watched Man Utd most weeks at Old Trafford and he was absolutely rubbish after his first season - then just before contract is up he plays like the "old toothy firebrand" and gets a great deal to go to Italy - strange that????

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 23:13:28 PM »
I seriously don't want to believe your theory Ian :(.

I think Walcotts "beef" is that there are players at Arsenal who play less they he does but are on more money.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 23:34:24 PM »
Maybe I am getting like Victor Meldrew in my old age    ;)

As I said I like Theo whenever he is interviewed - but he really does look like a different player now than the one playing the last 2 seasons????

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 11:07:54 AM »
Old Walnut's development as a player has suffered at the hands of Wenger.  He puts him out wide - cos that what's Wenger does with pacey players - but after 5 years out wide Walnut still cannot cross a ball, gawd forbid him, like many modern day wide players, 'attacking the bye line' and crossing!  Unfortunately, after 5 years, he still does not have the necessary skill to get past players either, which is an important attribute for any wide player, and he goes down to easy, and too often, in my humble opinion, he has bottled it when faced by an intimidating defender.

However,what I, and many others could see, was that he needed to be more central in a direct role.  What we might of called in my days, an inside forward.  He has a good eye for goal, and this can only improve with experience, plus pace that terrifies central defenders.  Yes he has still much to learn in that position, like playing with his back to goal, more consistency in beating the off side trap, but these weaknesses and can be improved in playing the role and in training/coaching.

It looks like - at last - even Wenger has seen that his 'Project Wide was a waste.  When will Wenger realise that because something works for Thierry Henry, it will not necessarily work for all other players!!!

Finally, I believe that Walcott will be a good player for the Gunners, not a great one, but I'd be delighted if I am wrong.  After all Walcott's probably got 10 years at top to build his own history at Arsenal.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »

He puts him out wide - cos that what's Wenger does with pacey players

Now I thought Wenger did exactly the opposite with Henry...

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 14:52:03 PM »
I think Wallcott has come on leaps and bounds this season. AW has moved him into the centre on occasions and even let him roam. It suits his game and they really couldn't afford to lose him to mancland or Chelski.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf