Author Topic: Silverfish ugggghh  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Silverfish ugggghh
« on: April 08, 2019, 02:06:26 AM »
Anyone have any tips on eradicating these disgusting little blighters please?
Last year we found the one 1 or 2 alive ( a few dead) in various places indoors, which we duly squished.
I find these insects completely disgusting and I don’t know why but I always associated them with old folk ( older then me folk) anyway yesterday on sweeping my balcony the biggest and fastest one I have ever seen was under my broom, I am now concerned this is more of a problem then we first thought and would like 2 nip it in the bud, I actually think I prefer to have the cockroaches of last year!
We defo did not see any in about 10 years of owning, on researching them they can breed like I don’t know what!
Don’t really want to call in pest control at this stage I’m hoping for a more natural product a bit like putting salt on a slug when you’ve found it chomping on your hosta leaves!
Thanks in advance   :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Silverfish ugggghh
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:28:23 AM »
Try using cinnamon essential oil. Put a few drops of it in a spray bottle with some water and spray it around the property.

Offline Wasp0

• It takes a lot of balls to golf the way I do
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
Not had to deal with 'Turkish' Silverfish yet, but here in the UK i used to use Lavender Essential oil (Any Citrus oil will suffice if you don't like Lavender smell). Dilute with some warm water, Shake bottle well and spray in ALL areas, especially the damp dark places, like under the sink bath, etc and also spray around the edges of all your rooms. This won't kill them, but they don't like the smell (Allegedly ).

There are plenty of KILLER stuff, but these are not a Natural substance and ultimately involve chemicals. Personally i want to kill the little buggers, not keep them away. I use the Chemical Spray.

However if you google 'How to kill Silverfish', there are plenty of hits for you to read.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 11:26:05 AM »
Brilliant thank u both very much I shall get one of each later we’ll if I can find them best look up both names on translate...

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »
If we get any I find good old mozzie spray or fly killer does the trick. We actually get them in our timeshare in Portugal. Not sure I've seen any in our Turkish place.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 19:57:04 PM »
Ok thanks Stoop I detest these little blighters with a vengeance until a couple of years ago I’d never seen one here either maybe it’s something to do with all the wet weather...
I managed to get some cinnamon oil yesterday couldn’t find lavender oil so I’m going to make up a solution and spray all around outside and indoors once it finally stops raining, oh do my ears deceive me I think it’s poss stopped!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf