Author Topic: Getting a bit concerned  (Read 9189 times)

Offline starbeck

Getting a bit concerned
« on: October 08, 2019, 15:33:34 PM »
Hi Folks, Last in Calis 8 years ago and plan to return next year in July.
I'm getting a bit concerned about the negatives I'm hearing about - green dirty sea, smelly canal, the flight prices are ridiculous at the moment and now it looks like Turkey is about to go to war again! Should I be concerned? Someone please sell it to me, it doesn't sound very enticing at the moment.

Offline IanK

Re: Getting a bit concerned
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 17:45:41 PM »
Obviously you need to make up your own mind, but none of the above are bothering me enough to even contemplate not going.

Ian

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 17:49:13 PM »
I agree with Ian.

Plus it's 9 months until you go. Plenty of time for you to get runover crossing the road.  ;)

Offline marina

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 18:34:49 PM »
We're one week into a months stay and that won't be long enough. Not noticed either the sea or a smell from the canal. Yes, flight prices are crazy at the moment but if you can afford to wait to book I'm pretty sure they will start to come down if people don't pay those prices. I will certainly be waiting to book for next year. As for Turkey going to war, who knows! I'm certainly no expert on Turkish politics but unless we were told by Foreign Office not to go then it wouldn't stop me.
And now the positives!  The people, the food, fabulous restaurants, the weather, the sunsets. Just having a walk alongthe prom. So many places within easy reach to visit, or just relax  8)
As others said, you can only make up your own mind, no-one can do it for you, but you wanted someone to sell it to you - well I tried   ;) ;D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 18:58:49 PM »
Someone on FB has mentioned sunshine.co.uk has good package prices for next year. Might be worth a look.

Offline davybill

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 20:35:55 PM »
Live here and love it, No worries. 😛😛😁😁🤩🤩

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 23:12:32 PM »
There hasn't been a smelly canal here at all this year - the sea has been perceived as a problem but it's being dealt with having made national Turkish news.

Flight prices are ridiculously high at the moment but there is a concerted effort by the Turkish Ministry to ensure that the spare capacity is filled and although a solution won't be found over night already BA are committed to substantially upping the number of flights, Jet2 are apparently going to add additional flights and with luck it seems Turkish Airlines and Lufthansa may also be looking to fill some of that spare capacity.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Turkey is going to go to war again. We haven't been at war at any time all as far as I know in all the years I have lived here.

What has happened is that yesterday morning Trump decided to pull America's troops out of Syria. He was then roundly criticised by his own Republicans, a rare event in itself, so he retaliated by going on the defensive a few hours later threatening to destroy the Turkish economy if Turkey did anything he didn't like!

The reality is that the US and Turkey were meant to jointly oversee the creation of a buffer zone in northern Syria so that about one million of the 4.25 million refugees that currently live in Turkey can return to safe area where new houses, schools and hospitals will be built. Negotiations have been going on for months about this and it was only recently agreed that the Americans would be actively present during this process. Part of the problem is that much of this area is held by the YPG who were supported by the US and its allies during this still ongoing conflict but without going into any detail they are not considered an ally by Turkey.

Whatever happens the border between Turkey and Syria is a good 25 hours away by road and about highly unlikely to affect popular tourist areas such as Fethiye in any way whatsoever.

Offline marina

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 06:23:32 AM »
I forgot to add in my other post about the walk all the way round the new kordon into Fethiye, taking in the fabulous new park, which should also be seen at night when it's lit up, amazing!
Then of course, my favourite, the trip back on the water taxi  ;D

Offline starbeck

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 16:06:19 PM »
Thanks for all your input guys. Guess all I need to think about is watching to flight prices come down!
I flew Virgin Atlantic from Manchester direct to Florida return this July and the flight was cheaper than the flights to Dalaman are!

Offline davybill

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 19:33:51 PM »
Well Turkeys better than Florida. 😛😛

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf