Author Topic: Bambu (Under New Management 2008) Review  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Bambu (Under New Management 2008) Review
« on: June 01, 2008, 15:46:04 PM »
Older (or more precisely longer term) members may recall Bambu won the CBF "5cl Cup" awarded for the meanest spirit measures in Turkey - also coupled by probably the rudest and most aggressive waiter displays in Calis history.

But that was then, and with Falcon & Alif returning to the prom restaurant game, a repeat of either was going to be pretty unlikely.

We went for a meal last night, and as I had guessed the restaurant was as good as full. I've wondered about Falcon's success in attracting window shoppers into his establishment for years. Never aggressive, irritating or overwhelming, he chats softly with passers by, then they are following him into the restaurant to be seated. Nothing has changed there - relatively late on a party of 8 stopped for a chat but in a "leaning" style - they were happy to talk but the body language suggests they are intent on moving on. Even with no table available he got them in, to have a drink while waiting for a table. I don't know exactly how he does it, but he always does  ;)

Enough of that - to the restaurant. Totally redone in a very classy style, superb modern heavy wooden tables and chairs, with a lovely decking area just for waiting customers to have a drink. No 8 lira patio chairs here. Lighting is modern and stylish, music is unobtrusive and MOR - I hadn't actually heard it till Mrs Scunner mentioned it. That is my sort of music. Last restaurant we tried on the seafront with the kids excelled itself with a track of rap style including the lyric "F*** you" over and over again.

Food - terrific. Mrs Scunner "didn't fancy a meal" so decided on a pizza. Not a dumpy doughy thing on a wooden plate here - a truly massive thin crust one (bigger than the big plate it came on) - and with her being a pizza expert the verdict was that it was the best ever, even better than ***** *****'s (you know who). I had the "Tagiatelle with Sea Wood" - luckily I had worked out it was sea FOOD not wood, I'm not keen on eating timber. I have a problem with pasta - whenever I order it (anywhere in the World) I am always disappointed with the size of portion, thinking things like "I wish I'd ordered chips with that" and the like - this was a relatively big portion but I still had the same thoughts - yet by the time I had finished, I couldn't have managed a gram more anyway. It isn't the hardest dish in the world to make but it was particularly good.

The girls had Meatballs and chips from the kids menu and found them too spicy - but that would be our only negative remark on the whole night.

With Falcon & Arif you would only expect first class service, and that is exactly what they provide. Well done guys, another restaurant makes the step up from average - we might just be getting somewhere.

Oh, and the 5cl Cup? They lost it - no complaints about the measures whatsoever.

I recommend Bambu to all - the standard has been raised on the seafront at last - it's up to the others now to decide on whether they want to raise their bar too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf