Author Topic: Bandit of the week - Piknik Kebabs, Fethiye  (Read 5915 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Bandit of the week - Piknik Kebabs, Fethiye
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
My nomination for Bandit of the Week is Piknik Kebabs, which is located next to the Sultan Pasternasi, near to Turk Telecom in Fethiye.  The Bandit award is for charging the mother in law - bless her - 10TL for a small plate of chicken donner and chips OR salad.  Most places around the red carpet area of Fethiye charge 3.5 to 5 TL for the same dish.  Shame as the food was good, but not that good!!

He was a twisting old bark, and I did tell him so, but he simply smiled cos he'd got the money, and he thought we would be on our way as merely disgruntled tourists.  So take heed and avoid this place.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Bandit of the week - Piknik Kebabs, Fethiye
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »
The more members avoid places like this, the more that few lira ends up costing him. I'm in.

Offline UPtownr

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 15:29:10 PM »
"Bandit of the Week"?! Love the idea. Thanks for taking the time to report. Price gauging is one of the major problems the local merchants of Fethiye are struggling with. Education is crucial in order to nip this short-sighted practice. Do we have a special area in this forum dedicated to this sort of 'reporting'? or is it scattered across different sub-forums as they become available? I would love to see a "Cheers & Jeers" area dedicated to Food, and another to all other service providers in town. What say the managers of this great forum? I for one would make sure the local merchants knew about it so they can monitor it as well.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 15:55:53 PM »
Could we present an award for the establishment that gets the most votes :-)

H could do it - with a CBF tin hat on!!

Seriously forewarned is forearmed.
We go to that area quite often and 5 lira is the norm - so this place is in the radar to avoid now.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 16:24:01 PM »
Perhaps put the name of the establishments and the words "rip off"
in extra large lettering so that it always stands out,easy to spot.

Offline hoops man

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 16:34:03 PM »
Isnt it strange how we can all have different experiences!  I was there today and to be honest have been a regular for years and it has always been a great ecperience. I have also recommended them on many occasions as the service is the quickest in town and it s only 3 half lira for kebab, chips and a drink. Sad to hear you had that bad exprience and very surprised.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 17:00:26 PM »
Surprised or not... He should treat everyone alike.. He obviously thought that they were tourists... This will cost him more than he robbed them of...

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 17:11:18 PM »
Hoops I couldn't agree more the food was good and the service quick.  However, I think he thought they were dealing with tourists - which they were with the in laws - and looking to make a quick doubling/trebling of the normal price at the tourist expense.  I suspect that they do it all the time, from the way they re-acted when I challenged them.  You might even want to mention it if you do happen to go again or, better still, pass by, that chances are his short term tucking of what he thought was a bit of tourist trade will cost him more in the future.

I have always disliked the triple pricing policy here that many businesses charge - Band 1 (lowest price) locals (Turkish) Band 2 (medium price) locals (non Turkish) and of course Band Three the golden band that are the prices they put on tourists.

I like the idea of an award for this sort of behavior, and I like the idea of H presenting the award in a tin hat (LOL) even more. ;D ;D

Offline hoops man

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 20:12:11 PM »
Alot of the business people in Turkey have very strange ideas of longevity. The amount you see close every year with only a years trading under their belts! The reason i was surprised as this is a company who have been there for years and are packed every day of the week so you would think they dont need to do these under handed things to anyone for a few lira. That type of behaviour is unexceptable! I often go to the sultan pattisserie and i was duped out of 2 lira from one off the waiters but i clocked his scam and let him know i did. Some staff members can harm a company to no ends. Anyway, theres a lesson here, please ask the price if theres no price list up. That said remember they are not all the same and most places you will find honest staff but check the price list out otherwise you dont have a leg to stand on!!!

Offline snowtop

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
I went to a builders merchant the other day with a Turkish builder to get some roof tiles etc from G'başi.  I have been there quite a few times over the last 9 years and the guy speaks a little English.
 I was very surprised when he said, '' Same price for everybody, English German, Turkish. All one price!'', this seemed to be an impromptu statement
He was very much against these different prices charged to foreigners.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf