Author Topic: Bandit of the week - Piknik Kebabs, Fethiye  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Bandit of the week - Piknik Kebabs, Fethiye
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
I went to one of the Beko shops on the back road a number of years back, to order aircon units. I went with a (trustworthy) builder. We listed the ones we needed and the builder went to ask what price they could do. The shop man did sums, I was standing there while he spoke to the builder I was with. After much discussion (all in Turkish - although the Beko man spoke good English) between builder and shop a total price was written down for me. We said our goodbyes and left. All good it seems.

Outside I was told that the shop man had come up with that price (which was a decent price apparently) and said to the builder (in Turkish) "That's what we can do them for, how much do you want me to tell him?"

And I have 50 similar stories at least.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
I called in a chemist opposite The Esnaf the other day and asked for an item in Turkish.  He scanned the item and said "10 lira".  I said "yok altı buçuk lira".  "Oh sorry, altı buçuk" was the reply.  A hike of 54% is "taking the mick".  Wonder how many times he gets away with it.

If you are buying something from the chemist and know the name you can check the price before you go by opening the following link:

http://www.ilacabak.com/indexen.php

Eroğolu, the chemist, opposite Migros in town, is always honest and extremely helpful.

Nowadays, I find this happens less and less but before buying any household or electrical items, I price them in at least three shops and normally find the price is the same in all.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
We used to find that on the rare occasions we didn't ask "how much" that was the times we got ripped off...Always get the price first is our motto. With me it's not the 5TL it's the principal...One price for all...

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 13:10:11 PM »
Anne - totally agree and there are few things worse than feeling you have been had over - doesn't matter if it's 1 or 100 lira with me either :-)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 13:19:37 PM »
When we first went to Patlancik we paid 5LT for a 1TL cauli.. it still hurts to this day. because he was laughing at uswith his buddies but he never got us again and none of our friends of which we had many.. It taught us a valuable lesson..

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 22:16:18 PM »
I was thinking about this topic today - in particular the attitude that is a tenner today is better than the promise of a thousand next week.

I remember buying little bikes with stabilisers for the girls for their 4th birthday. I went to a bike shop and chose two bikes, both with a year's guarantee - the owner was absolutely clear to me and wanted to ensure I understood. "Anything, in a year bring it back and we fix it". Very nice too.

Anyway, a few months later the handlebar bolt became unable to hold the handlebars in position. It was quite dangerous, they'd be peddling away and suddenly the handlebars would fall and dip under rather than over.

Of course I took the bikes back and the owner couldn't remember me at all (!) and told me "not these ones. The next ones, higher price, these have guarantee. These bikes, no guarantee".

I argued furiously, more than I would these days and ultimately gave up. I took the bikes to a rustic motorbike mechanic's shack near the girls' school. How much? "2 lira enough".

In the next 4 years I was asked possibly 25 times if I could recommend a bike shop. I always brought people to shops rather than just recommend. I would say 40 bikes were bought through me taking people to a bike shop. But because of the refusal to do the 2 lira job, it wasn't that shop.

Offline busybee

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 08:32:45 AM »
Not local but very recent.  We were very near the huge pazzar and ventured just a little way in, to have a quick coffee. Stopped at a basic kebab house and ordered 2 nescafes. which he sent out for. He charged Mick 13TL!!!!!!!! should have been no more than 4TL.  We had some wonderful coffee experiences in Izmir and had never paid that price.  Mick paid it, but I was livid and told him so.  He just kept shrugging and saying that was the price and I just kept telling him he was thieving git.  Can you imagine how much extra dosh they make from the huge cruise ships that dock there daily.  Lesson learnt, there and then, even ask how much a coffee is........in the pazzar. 

Offline Marggie

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 16:28:11 PM »
Things like this really sadden me.  To think that you have to query the price of coffee before ordering is so sad but unfortunately that can be the case today.  Why, oh why can they not see past today?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 16:33:38 PM »

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 16:15:29 PM »
Nothing to do with Calis or environs, but here goes anyway. We went on an end-of-season cheapie package holiday to Gumbet at the end of October. We always get a load of washing done before we return home, so off I walked to find a local laundrette. There were a couple of non-english speaking women in the laundrette and the guy from the next shop strolled over and acted as interpreter. They discussed in Turkish what I should be charged for the washload. I noted that they had decided on "onbeş". Bloke looks me in the eye and says "twenty lira". I have virtually no Turkish but I do understand numbers at least. "Ayer, onbeş" I reply. Much embarrasment ensued.

When I picked the washing up, I did actually give Yirmi/twenty. (after all it's a whole £1.50 difference) I said "onbeş?" with a nice smile and we all had a little laugh about it. However, if I ever get back to Gumbet, I know where to avoid.

To even it up, there was a fantastic patisserie just along the road, the woman there had about as much english as I had turkish. We always had a good laugh as we mutually destroyed others language, she always gave me a freebie of borek and I always bought a shed-load of her lovely stuff (mmm, baklava) for a very reasonable price. Would go back there tomorrow. If anyone is heading to Gumbet, I will give the address.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf